Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Who would I call to relaminate my post formed counter from the 70's?

Old 06-10-19, 02:39 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

What type of place would relaminate my old counter tops that are from around 1970? They're the old fashioned square edge type that have a sheet of Formica over cheap wood,

I also want another base cabinet to be installed on the other side of my stove where the fridge used to be, but I'm having trouble finding someone that could build one to custom match my 1970 birch cabinets. They don't have to be exact as I'm going to paint it, but it has to be the old fashioned plain style preferably.

I don't think home depot and those places will do this type of stuff.

Old 06-10-19, 03:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
There is no "place" that laminates counters. If you were having a whole kitchen done the cabinet supplier might glue up the counter but you'll have a snowball's chance getting someone like that to do a repair on a 50 year old counter. You'll probably have to re-glue your laminate yourself or find a handyman to do it for you. Most often contact cement is used.

As for finding a cabinet keep in mind that big box home centers aren't the only game in town. Try checking with lumber yards that supply to contractors, kitchen centers and cabinet makers.

Old 06-10-19, 04:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, so maybe what I want is a "cabinet maker"?

I didn't want the old counter repaired, I just want someone that can install new laminate sheeting on them or over the old stuff.

Old 06-10-19, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I just want someone that can install new laminate sheeting on them or over the old stuff.
Just about any carpenter or handyman should be able to do it. That would include anyone who makes or installs cabinets.

Now whether they WANT to do it is another topic. I suspect most would probably rather completely replace what you have with preformed counters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: