What kind of bathtub?

Old 08-09-19, 10:02 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of bathtub?

We dropped an Aquarium in the fiberglass tub. It left a very small hole. Actually it didn't leak due to the expanding foam underneath. We did put some seal, glue to make sure but it looks ugly. I could do better matching but I was think of just getting a new tub since we are putting tile down anyhow. should I get steel or fiberglass? I assume 300lb steel is out. Am I fighting a losing battle if I decide to repair the old tub? Will on chip more than the other? If we drop something in light weight steel tub will we have same problem? Should we get a 300lb tub? I am hearing a lot of install yourself fears like using expand foam, 2x4s...When I look on line it seems support is built in. Part of my confusion is one fiberglass tub is $150, the other, same size, is $300. Only difference I see is on has a sloping 20 degree back. Do they make different thickness walls? We would like to get just a tub and do tile the rest of the way up. What draw backs are there to the as opposed to keeping with fiber walls? What am I missing. Opinions. Thanks.

Old 08-10-19, 03:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
One option is to hire a professional to repair the tub. They can sometimes do an amazing job. On smooth surfaces they can make a repair you might not be able to see. Textured surfaces are more difficult but they can do pretty good on them as well.

A fiberglass tub, new or old, will always be susceptible to damage like your old one. Dropping something heavy with sharp corners is really hard to survive without damage though a steel or cast iron tub would hold up better.

Yes, there is a difference in quality of plastic/fiberglass tubs. The cheapies are often plastic, moving up in quality you get fiberglass and at the higher end you get much thicker and stronger fiberglass. I NEVER install the cheapies as they just don't hold up very well so I go for at least the middle of the road at around $300 as the minimum.

Old 08-10-19, 03:47 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Personal preference as material of tub. I like the steel tub. Won't scratch or yellow, or flex.

Old 08-10-19, 03:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
... and the new steel tubs aren't as heavy as the old cast iron tubs were.

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: