Drywall behind tub

Old 12-31-19, 05:08 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Drywall behind tub

I have been working on a bathroom remodel and hired a contractor to help with the plumbing and tub install...

Since he completed his work I installed some ditra on the floor.

I just realized there is still drywall on the entire back wall... I plan on tiling the walls of the shower...

The drywall is a 1/2 inch thick and its fire control brand as that wall is shared with another condo owner... and I know its unacceptable for it to be cement boarded over.

Ideally I don't want to uninstall the tub... is it possible to just cut the drywall where it meets the flange?

What are my options?

Name:  sh.JPG
Views: 4115
Size:  69.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-31-19 at 07:57 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 12-31-19, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Ideally I don't want to uninstall the tub... is it possible to just cut the drywall where it meets the flange?
I think you answered your own question. If your not going to remove the tub that's all you can do. You might want to put horizontal blocking behind the joint since you wont be able to tape that seam.

Old 12-31-19, 06:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if i make the cut should I silicon the edge on the drywall too? for waterproofing that top of it?

Old 01-01-20, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Your fire code dictated that there be 2 layers of drywall between the units so I suspect the drywall is supposed to stay. I don't know what the solution is

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-01-20, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The drywall is a 1/2 inch thick and its fire control brand as that wall is shared with another condo owner... and I know its unacceptable for it to be cement boarded over.
Typically double sheetrock is required for a "fire break" between units.
I would think that cement board is better than a layer of sheetrock.
I couldn't see any problem adding cement board on top of two layers of sheetrock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: