Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Schluter-Ditra underlayment seal around the toilet seat drain

Old 01-04-20, 07:45 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am renovating my bathroom and I consider using Schluter-Ditra underlayment. There are some tutorials available, but none shows how to seal Ditra around the toilet seat drain (or I had not found them). Is there a way?
Another question: it is common to install the acrylic shower base directly on bare wood floor using mortar. Is this a good practice? It should be avoided any underlying?

Old 01-05-20, 05:06 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Your referring to the uncoupling material for floors vs the membrane material for showers.

I've used the membrane for shower, the uncoupling material I have not, but the toilet flange is not a watertight connection unlike the shower drain so you would just install up to the flange.

Yes, shower to wood floor with a health mortar bed, shower pans are only so ridged and they can flex and creak without support!

Old 01-05-20, 06:00 PM
A
Thank you.
Many years ago when no tutorials were available on YouTube and the only source of information was that orange Home depot books I totally renovated my bathroom. The sub-floor was steel net and I used steel net too since I did not know any better. A few years later the toilet faucet leaked and I found the first floor ceiling damaged.
Now I am trying to learn best practices to avoid stupid failures.
Any advise is valuable since I am not a professional in this business.

Old 04-21-21, 10:23 PM
Z
Recommended solution

I know this thread is old, but it was the first hit from my search, if anyone else is looking for the same answer I found the recommendation is to use KERDI-FIX with DITRA-HEAT membrane around the toilet flange. Cut the ditra as close as possible to the flange and apply the Kerdi-fix to seal it. Hope this helps someone out there

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: