Curved tub causing headache!

Old 04-26-23, 11:58 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Curved tub causing headache!

I'm thinking about laying a vinyl plank floor in the bathroom over the old tile, and running the same vinyl up the side of the tub. The problem is that my evil 1950's tub curves in on the ends, so I'd be left with terrible gaps at the top. I'm sure there's a brilliant way to deal with that, but I don't know what it might be. Any ideas?

Top Answer

04-26-23, 12:52 PM
stickshift
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
I wouldn't be running the tile up the side of the tub.

Old 04-26-23, 12:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
I wouldn't be running the tile up the side of the tub.

cwbuff, Norm201, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 04-26-23, 01:26 PM
F
Respectfully, that doesn't help in any way. Not only didn't your response offer suggestions on how to resolve the problem, but you made a statement without explaining your reasoning. If you're against covering the side of the tub with the vinyl plank, could you at least share your reason why?

Old 04-26-23, 01:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,228 Upvotes on 1,988 Posts
First flukeslapper, improve your attitude. YOU came HERE asking for help.

Why were you not given details of why not? 1. Because that entire class of product is designed for very flat horizontal surfaces. 2. You never told us the product you are using nor did you provide a picture of your unusual tub application. "Vinyl plank floor" is generic so you get a generic answer. Provide the details and you get a more explicative answer.

Old 04-26-23, 03:26 PM
F
Pilot Dane, I'm not sure what you found wrong with my attitude. I tried to be completely polite and respectful. I apologize anyway, if my reply rubbed you or anyone else the wrong way. Yes, I came HERE asking for help. stickshift's response offered an opinion, but little help, so I asked for his rationale. I value ANY answers I get here, but if they're unclear or incomplete, I ask for more information.

Your comment did better at suggesting why stickshift might have said, "I wouldn't be running the tile up the side of the tub." You make a good point about the vinyl plank not being as stiff as, say, laminate flooring, so I can see where it might cause a problem in that type of application. I've seen folks use laminate planks for this type of project, and hadn't considered the flexibility of the vinyl. Still, I'm hoping that I can find a way to make this work, for reasons I won't bore you with right now.

I didn't provide a photo because it's just an old bathtub with a side wall that curves in slightly about 6 inches from the ends, rather than being a straight, square side. I figured most people have either seen one, or can imagine what it looks like. I'll shoot a pic and post it shortly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: