Stain on marble slab outside bathroom

Old 08-21-23, 10:57 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stain on marble slab outside bathroom

This mysterious stain appeared on the tile slab outside the bathroom. Must be a cleaning product of some sort. I put a paste of baking soda and water on it for a few days, but that had very little, if any, effect. Wondering if DIY'ers might have any suggestions. TIA.

Old 08-21-23, 11:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,117 Upvotes on 1,896 Posts
It looks like an oil stain. If so I'd try a solvent (alcohol, acetone, mineral spirits...) by placing a small puddle on the spot. Let it soak in for several seconds. Then wipe off. The idea is the solvent breaks down a small bit of the oil and floats it to the surface where you can wipe it away. This requires many repeated attempts as you only remove a small bit on each try.

Old 08-21-23, 11:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
Try acetone to dissolve and remove the stain from the marble's serrated inner structure. Acetone evaporates very quickly and leaves no residue. Fingernail polish remover generally has a very high percentage of acetone but often contains a slight amount of clear castor oil that will not stain, as it is greatly diluted and will evaporate quickly with the acetone. Pronto brand nail polish remover is 100% acetone if that matters to you. A small bottle of fingernail polish can be purchased at any drug store.

Old 08-21-23, 02:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
And the marble will need to be sealed (again?) afterward. Personally, because it is both so soft and so porous, I think marble is a nightmare surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: