Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Tiling (Backsplash) - When to use caulk instead of grout?

Old 10-29-23, 09:25 AM
P
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

I'm finishing up a backsplash subway tile job in my kitchen. It's my understanding that I should use caulk (horizontally) where the wall meets the counter top and also in the inside corner (vertically) where one wall meets another wall and the tile continues through.

In one location, the title run terminates at an inside corner but doesn't continue on the perpendicular wall. Again, use caulking here, right?

What about in places where the tile meets the cupboard either by hitting the side of the cupboard or the bottom of it? Grout or caulking? In the tutorials I've seen, they seem to always grout here.

Also, I'm using metallic edging (instead of bull nose). Where tile meets the metal edging, just fill that small gap with grout, right?

Please offer answers to specific situations as well as tell me the thinking behind how to make the call. I think it has something to do with perpendicular planes and expansion rates. What's the reasoning?

Also, while, I've gotten great advice here, I find that once a post is answered my follow up questions are usually ignored, so please check back on this thread if you weren't able to give an answer to each of my situations. In a day or two I'll have to take action with or without advice.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-31-23, 04:05 AM
P
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I ended up caulking only the perpendicular edges against walls, but not cupboards, although I did caulk the cupboard over the stove sort of on a whim. With all the temp changes I thought grout might me more likely to crack. *shrug* Just sharing my experience. Turned out well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: