Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Jeld-wen casement window lock handle broke so now stuck locked

Old 03-02-15, 02:22 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My casement window is stuck shut with loose lock handle. Crank will turn but cannot open window because window is stuck shut.

I have the replacement parts from Jeld-wen but from what I understand I need to be able to open the window some to replace the lock. Any ideas on how to open the window?

Old 03-02-15, 02:37 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Remove the handle & try to spin the gears with a screwdriver.

Old 03-02-15, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Hard to say when we can't see your window, the broken lock, or the replacement parts. Include a picture or a better description. Since you say the LOCK is broke, I would assume you need to lift the lock in order to unlock it somehow.

Old 03-04-15, 11:29 AM
P
Name:  WP_20150304_10_18_43_Pro.jpg
Views: 23760
Size:  13.1 KBName:  WP_20150304_10_18_33_Pro.jpg
Views: 32790
Size:  20.4 KBName:  WP_20150304_10_18_51_Pro.jpg
Views: 20992
Size:  25.4 KB

So the lock handle feels detached as there is no resistance when lifting or lowering it. The crank handle turns about one turn then stops because the window will not open. Let me know if I can provide any more info or pics...

Old 03-04-15, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Wow, you are really screwed... open the other window and take a look at the arm that connects to the lock. It's a single point lock, but there is a rod that slides up and down that is supposed to be attached to the arm of the lock... that rod usually makes contact with the sash at 2 locking points.

Normally, when you lock the window, that rod slides UP, engaging both of those 2 sash lock keepers. But since yours is broken or disconnected, the rod is stuck in the UP position. As long as the rod is up... you can't crank it open, so quit trying to crank the window open until you get it unlocked.

My advice would be to take something thin and flat (like a stiff glazing putty knife) and shove it between the sash and the frame. If you can fully insert it just above the lock mechanism and then tap the blade of the putty knife down with a hammer... you might be able to catch the arm and pull it down. Once you insert the putty knife and slide it down, you should feel it contact the elbow where the lock and arm meet. I think you would then need to tap it down another 1 1/2" or so to actually unlock the window.

I don't know that this has ever happened to me before, so there's probably a 50% chance the advice above is just a load of crap. But if you examine the window that works... you might be able to see if the advice is on track or not.

The only other thing to try would be to try and make some sort of jimmy-bar and try and do this from the outside... if you could pry the window open just enough (center of sash) to insert a zig-zag piece of sheet metal, you might be able to catch one of the rollers that is connected to that arm... and slide it down in a similar manner.

Oberon voted this post useful.
Old 03-04-15, 02:38 PM
P
Thanks I'll give it a go. I've actually had this happen to another window of the same type and brand (damn you Jeld-wen) but it broke in the unlocked position so it was a piece of cake to fix.

Old 05-10-15, 04:05 PM
P
solution to similar problem

I had a very similar problem. Due to a design flaw the knob on the lock lever would get stuck behind the plate that is attached to the locking rod and the window would be stuck in the locked position. It took quite a bit of brainstorming but I did fix it. I used a putty knife from the inside side to pry the window a little ways (1/4") out. I used a coat hander with a short el bend at the end to hook around the plate and pull down. It was tricky to find the spot to hook onto and I used the other side to find the right height. It took a little bit of force and the putty knife went flying. My wife was so happy with me.

Old 08-19-16, 06:32 PM
H
I used the putty knife and hammer as suggested and it worked!!

Old 08-19-16, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Nice job, glad you got it open!

Old 05-10-18, 07:22 AM
J
Thumbs up Putty Knife idea works !

Just wanted to say THANK YOU
My lock also was broken and window was locked
Couldn't open it to access the screws.

Used a thin putty knife right above the lock and angled down, tapped with a hammer and had it unlocked / open in like 2 seconds
Worked like a charm
Now on to finding a replacement part.

Old 05-10-18, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Nice job! Good to see old advice is still helping people.

Old 04-09-19, 03:54 AM
C
XSleeper, just want to say thank you for your advice. It worked a treat. Thanks again!

Old 05-22-20, 01:35 PM
T
Created an account just to say that the putty knife trick worked! Thank you!

Old 05-22-20, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
I should start working on commission! LOL! Nice job.

Old 06-06-20, 10:01 AM
P
Thank you!

You should be getting a commission- just created an account to add another successful save with the putty knife and hammer solution. It only took two taps - thank you!!!

Old 06-06-20, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
That's awesome! This shows there was a real flaw in the design of these parts, as many times as its happening.

Welcome to doityourself.com!

Old 09-04-20, 12:31 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
it worked!

Another new account just to thank you for this idea. I've had a broken window locked shut for over a year and it's very low priority for the window guys. Another lock broke last night and in my reinvigorated frustration I found this idea.

Instead of a putty knife I used a butter knife resting on the top of the broken arm, held horizontal and hit it with hard plastic water bottle (Nalgene) a few times. I may be a welder but I don't trust myself with hammers and windows lol.

Now to open the original broken window, once I either get a new lock or operator for it.

But either way you saved me $$$, so thank you.

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 10-11-20, 10:31 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Holy Cow!!!! this worked for me too! Thank you, thank you.
Jeld Wen windows are crap.
Same problem many people are having. The lock lever for the casement window is made of weak metal and it snaps off in the locked position. I tried Jeld Wen customer service (total joke - waste of time).
Found this post and tried it. Took about 2 minutes and BAM! window open.
Fortunately the damage I did to the window in my earlier vain attempt to open it is minimal. Now I just need to replace the lock set, which is not a big deal, but you have to be able to open the window.
Thank you XSleeper. You really helped me here.

XSleeper voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: