Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How can I beef up our patio slider screen door ?

Old 03-15-16, 12:58 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts

Better Half would like to keep the kitchen glass slider open on warm days... and keep the screen door portion closed. It is flimsy and no lock. I will start visiting door shops and looking on-line.

This is a 1993 vinyl clad glass slider about 58" wide x 80" high. The slider portion is about 29" wide and the stationary portion is about 25" wide. The screen door track is 9/16" wide.

Any ideas on how to replace the flimsy screen door with a beefy, hefty, lockable screen door?

Thank you.....

Old 03-15-16, 01:10 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Here's one online source for replacement sliding screen doors. No experience with them... I'm sure there are others. They have several grades available.

https://www.metroscreenworks.com/sho...FQ-raQod4ewGBw

That will give you some ideas, but you'll probably be better off trying to find a local glass dealer to source it since if you buy online it will likely come in kit form.

Old 03-15-16, 01:48 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
What goods it going to do to lock a screen door?
One kick or swipe with a knife and anyone can walk in.

Old 03-15-16, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Good point joe.

Aluminum screen is a big improvement over fiberglass screen, as far as keeping the frame square is concerned. (Assuming the guys who screen it aren't idiots and don't know the importance of keeping the frame square when they roll the bead in.)

Old 03-15-16, 03:55 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I think the OP's "flimsy and no lock" comment had nothing to do with security and everything to do with typical flimsy slider screens. They are so cheaply built that they are difficult to maintain square. As for the lock we use it as a toddler/cat deterrent. An unlocked screen means the cats and the kids make a break for freedom.

Old 03-15-16, 07:14 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Using pet screen might help give a little bit a rigidity to the door, but don't expect much. I've replaced many patio door screens with pet screen, including my own and it does seem as though it's bit more solid. But everything depends on the frame. If it's the thin stuff then little can be done.

Old 03-15-16, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Everything said about a screen not being a barrier as far a intrusion is concerned.

I was always concerned about my patio door in a suburban townhouse that opened to yard with some 40' spruce about 40' away and no other security that was a concern in the summer when the AC was not in use and wanted fresh air at night. - The oversize (about 7' wide) was 30 years old and needed replacement and I could not change the exterior appearance.

I ended up by having a Renewal by Andersen (not just like a big box units) slider mainly because the other salesmen were inept and would do better on a used car lot. I also could not remove the old door and dispose it. I had the door installed after waiting for it to be made and installed. There was no mention of a security lock that was a (foot operated steel bolt into the concrete slab that could hold the door open 6" and still be as secure as a closed door. That allowed security and ventilation 24/7. That was an unanticipated bonus. I did a lose a screen once in the fall from a bear that also trashed my bird feeders, the screen replacement was easy.

Not ideal for everyone, but has been great and I bought a second for off a deck and the coons could not get into the house on a midnight raid.

Dick

Old 03-16-16, 04:32 AM
Dick, Interesting that you like the Renewal By Andersen. I also need to replace my sliding patio door and am considering Andersen. It's been almost a full year now with my Renewal By Andersen windows on the whole house and I have to say they made a definite difference in both cooling and heating. The main difference could be felt in the second story. Mind if I ask what you paid for the door?

Old 03-30-16, 06:51 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Hi Paul.....I did look at metroscreen video of their almost indestructible slider screen. Impressive, but a rough estimate for a framed 30 x 80 was.....$1500 and up. We might end up with a ordinary wrought iron door from H.D. or local hardware store in the $100 - $200 range.....if it can be framed on the outside to provide a base.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 03-30-16, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Norm -

In my area, Andersen By Renewal is only sold installed and when I bought them they were not available to DIYers. I shopped a number of others and it turned out to be only a few dollars more than the guys that have to offer a $25.00 gift card to give you and estimate. I was intersted in a good window.

In my situation, the removal was a factor because the old windows had to be removed AND disposed of and I had a bad back. - That was a factor. Plus, they had to match the exterior appearance of rest of the neighborhood (quad homes).

I was doing moisture intrusion and inspection, so I took a 2 day class ($800) to be a certified window installer. Most of the people in the classes were carpenters/builders that were sent the by employers at the request/demand of their insurers. Most complained about the junk they had to install and no one complained about Andersen. At that time, Andersen did not have any installer employees, but used sub-contractors that worked elusively for Andersen. The man that installed mine did only sliders and doors (no windows) and did over 800 per year.

The lead time to installation was a problem since the windows were not stock (made only 15 miles away (that had no effect on the installation time), but a separate man came out to do the real measurements and rely on a salesman and then someone came out 2 days before installation to take interior and exterior photos to give to the installer.

I had the first slider installed and the installer arrived at about 9:00 AM. He tore out the slider, installed the new unit, reflashed and reinstalled the siding removed, loaded up and disposed of the old slider and put in the locally required smoke detectors where needed with all permits issued and vacuumed the inside carpet and the patio. He left at 11:00 and told me the inspector would be there in before lunch to check on the smoke detectors.

I was not a DIY job. The window was so good I ordered a second. I cannot comment of the thermal performance because the old sliders were so bad. I face north and MN and there has never a hint of a leak or draft and my your cats sit on the floor at the sliders all day to watch the critters outside.

Dick

Old 03-30-16, 04:42 PM
Dick,

You are correct that this is not a DIY project, and also only sold installed. I had all 13 windows replaced in a two story home. Here in Western New York and just as was done with you an installer came out to verify and check the salesman measurements. My project included take out and removal of old windows (also original circa 1970's Andersens) and fit in new inserts including any trim and matching of siding. It took two guys two days to do the job. My understanding was that the two installers were permanent hires and my timing gave them an opportunity to work when there none otherwise. I was given a break on total cost if I agreed to have them installed within two weeks of contract. And that was fine. They did a fantastic job and made sure they cleaned up each day.

After installation about 2 weeks later Renewal by Andersen (based out of Rochester, NY) for our area the owner called and asked about how it went and if we were satisfied. We said we were very satisfied and no problems. He continued to ask if everything was perfect. My wife laughed and said that on one window the caulking had a slight bump on it but it was no problem. Could hardly see it. The next day he was out to fix it!

We have since had several more calls as follow up. We told them give us a call after one full year and we will give them a true review after going through a full summer and winter. So far we are very satisfied.

OK, so now the big question people ask is what did we pay for it? We paid $15,000.00

Many people say we over paid. Even Andersen told us we could get windows for maybe half that cost, but not the quality, workmanship or guaranty that they gave us. For the comfort and quality I make no bones about the cost. It was worth it.

My neighbor on the other hand has had windows replaced several times from other sources and has nothing but trouble.

AS far as my sliding patio door goes I'm not sure if I'm prepared to the pay the Andersen price. My current Peachtree door does work fine but I had to install a storm door after the first year of living in the house. It's now over 35 years old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: