Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installing an octagon window in existing octagon window.

Old 04-02-16, 11:31 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I am a total newbie so please explain clearly.

I basically have an old octagon window that broke. I actually already bought a new VENTING OCTAGON window.

The outside rough opening is exactly 23 and 1/2 inches and is BRICK because its a brick house.

The rough opening of my window is 23 inches.

Will this fit? I only have about 1/4 of an inch so i cant build a wood frame to the brick opening..

What should i do?

Can i use thin 1/4 inch wood pieces just so that i can fill the void and screw the window right into the bricks with a masonry screw and drill?

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-16, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Why arent you just replacing the glass, if that's what is broke?

At any rate, no you don't fasten the window to the bricks, you fasten it through the jamb to the wall framing. Brick houses are rarely All brick. If yours is, then yeah I guess you would need to fasten the jambs to brick.

Old 04-02-16, 11:34 AM
T
Also, in the picture, you see the white outer trim area? Is that suppose to be flat in the bricks or it is suppose to be sticking out? Because if i measure this whole area from end to end, it is about 25 inches which really wont fit into the bricks rough opening which is only 23 and a 1/2.

Old 04-02-16, 11:37 AM
T
If i fasten it to the wall framing, then i would have to make the rough opening of the bricks larger so that the whole window could fit in flush to the bricks.

Is that how it supposed to be installed? I see pictures of octagon windows online with the outer part sticking out and not flush.

Old 04-02-16, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
The brickmould is trim that normally surrounds a window on houses with siding. You will need to pop that off to get it to fit. Then trim the perimeter with something else, or reuse the existing brickmould on a table saw so that your can put it back on after you install the window. Center the window in the rough opening with cedar shims so that it sits symmetrical with the brick on the outside. Then on the inside, attach the jamb to the wall in at least 4 places. Be sure you have it straight with the wall. You may have a very thick wall which may mean that the window is not thick enough... you will probably need to add trim to one side or the other, or both. The exterior trim usually will just cover the back side of the brick.

Old 04-02-16, 11:44 AM
T
There is no brickmould trim. Its just bricks that is in the shape of an octagon window because there was one there before.

Is this window supposed to sit flush into the bricks so that the whole window is inside the bricks? Or is this outer part supposed to stick out?

That is my question.

Old 04-02-16, 11:47 AM
T
thanks for answering my question!

So the exterior trim sticks outside of the bricks. I understand.

Old 04-02-16, 11:50 AM
T
Xsleeper thanks for the info!

I will give it a try. I actually didnt even take off the old broken window yet. Its just that a contractor quoted me $300 to replace this window, so i figure id do it myself.

He told me that the exterior trim supposed to be flush inside the bricks so that i needed to shave the bricks down in order to make it fit since the exterior trim is about 25 inches and the brick rough opening is only 23 and a 1/2... LOL...

Because the way this window is built, it looks like the exterior trim is supposed to stick out and cover the side of the brick as you said,.

Old 04-02-16, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Also, in the picture, you see the white outer trim area?
That white outer trim is called "brickmould". Windows often come with the brickmould already installed on the window, just like in your picture above. Is that not a picture of your window?
There is no brickmould trim.
Really. Because the window pictured has it. And that's probably why your window measures 25" on the outside, but fits a 23" rough opening on the inside. You are measuring the window and including the brickmould trim.

Is that suppose to be flat in the bricks or it is suppose to be sticking out? Because if i measure this whole area from end to end, it is about 25 inches which really wont fit into the bricks rough opening which is only 23 and a 1/2.
Yeah, that's why I said to pop that brickmould trim off of your window. So that the window will fit. Once it is installed inside the brick opening, you can probably cut that brickmould trim down to fit the inside dimensions of your brick opening. But to do that, you would wisely take it off first. I don't think you would be too successful if you tried to cut it to the shape of the brick opening, and then put it in.

The trim does NOT sit outside the bricks. It covers the BACK edge of the bricks... not the FRONT edge. And you do not need to cut bricks. It fits in between the bricks and sits clear back in the opening... about 3" behind the face of the bricks usually.

Old 04-02-16, 01:56 PM
T
Wait a sec. I am now confused. Xsleeper, that picture is the exact window that i bought.

So that white trim is called a brickmould. That brick mould is about 25 inches. The rough opening of my bricks is only 23 and a half!

So your saying that the whole brickmould is supposed to sit about 3 inches inside of the bricks!!??

If that is the case, this window will def not fit! I seen pictures of octagon windows with the brick moulding trim covering the outside of the bricks!

Your telling me that the whole brickmoulding is supposed to go inside the bricks!?

Old 04-02-16, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Why don't you post a picture of your existing broken octagon window.

Old 04-06-16, 06:31 PM
T
Xsleeper! I got some pictures of the window and the opening.

The brick is exactly 23.5 inches from side to side and up to down.

The brick moulding on the window is 25.5 inches.

The inside of the window that faces in the house is 22.5 inches.

What should i do?

Name:  20160406_113142.jpg
Views: 5794
Size:  45.1 KBName:  20160406_114501.jpg
Views: 7420
Size:  23.1 KBName:  20160406_114506.jpg
Views: 7165
Size:  23.2 KBName:  20160406_114520.jpg
Views: 5853
Size:  24.3 KB

Old 04-06-16, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know how I can be any more clear in explaining what you need to do. Reread what I have written.

You either need to use the window you have or order one that's a little smaller. Yours would probably fit if you would just do what I have suggested. First thing you should do is take off the interior trim, the casing, and verify that you have a 23 1/2" rough opening.

Old 04-07-16, 05:00 AM
T
YOur suggestion of removing the brick moulding would not work because this moulding does not just pop off. =(

This is a VINYL window. Not wood, although it looks like wood, so it is one piece. I cant just take off the brickmoulding.

Maybe ill have to cut the bricks or take out one layer of bricks to make the opening larger. This company only makes 1 size windows so im stuck with it. It is very well made, so i actually want to try to make this work.

Old 04-07-16, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
I find it hard to believe that you, although admitting being a novice, have the balls to basically say that I don't know what I'm looking at in your pictures. Your brickmould comes off. Your sash (the part that cranks open) may be vinyl. Your brickmould may be vinyl. But it does come off, so please just take the advice I'm trying to offer you. I've got 25 yrs of window experience.

Old 04-07-16, 10:24 AM
T
Dont take what i said into offense. I meant nothing like that. I simply dont see how to take off the brickmoudling without breaking it. Score it with a razor blade first!?

I read your advise many times and at the end of the day, it seems like i still have to cut the brick in order to fit the whole brickmoulding.

I made the stupid mistake of buying a 25.5 inch brick mouldinga window and only having a 23.5 rough opening on the bricks..... I didnt know that the whole moulding was suppose to go inside the bricks.

I am thinking about using a angle grinder with diamond blade and a mason chisel to just cut 1 and 1/4th inch off all sides of the brick so that i can just slide in the whole window... THen build a wood frame for the inside part and simply caulk the brick moulding to the brick its sitting on.

would this work!?

OORRRRRRRRRRRRRR....

Am i suppose to just install it from the inside? I read ur response many times but still dont really get it. If i take off the moulding and install it, how am i going to put the moulding back?

XSLEEPER, i appreciate so much that you are helping me.

Old 04-07-16, 10:35 AM
T
can i also ask you how to build a window frame for the inside of my window to sit on?

Do i just cut out pieces of wood that fit the dimensions of my octagon window and screw it in then slide the window in so that it fits snug?

Old 04-07-16, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Oh my gosh. Do not cut the brick! Cut the caulk on the back side of the brickmould with a utility knife... then open the window and see if they caulked the inside edge of the brickmould. If they did, cut it with a knife. Tap the back side of the brickmould with a hammer. You will likely need a prybar to pry it off the nails.

Like I have already said, you need to take the interior trim off the wall on the inside... cut drywall back as needed. You want to find out if the rough opening in the framing is big enough for this window.

Old 04-07-16, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
No you may not. The inside of your new window will be flush with the surface of the drywall after you install it. Good luck.

Old 04-07-16, 10:48 AM
T
OHHH! So your telling me to install this window FROM THE INSIDE!? Not from the outside~?

I was thinking it supposed to go in from the outside!

I thought the rough opening meant the outer bricks~...

So if i take off all the trimming from the inside and the opening is still too small, i can just reframe the wood, am i right?

Please let me know if im on the right track now..

THANKS SO MUCH XSLEEPER!

Old 04-07-16, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, I think you've got it.

You can shove it in from either side once you take off that brickmould.... assuming the rough opening is big enough. If it isn't big enough you can reframe it.

Old 04-07-16, 04:45 PM
T
Xsleeper, after rereading all ur replies, I have a better understanding on how to proceed. I shouldof just listened and take off the brick moulding from the get go... makes it much easier. I'll just re trim with something else or cutt the existing moulding to fit after installing window... it's actually not that hard to imagine what to do now with your advise!!!

Thanks so much for your time. $!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-16, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good, thanks. Try and save the brickmould when you take it off... like I said, you can probably cut those pieces to fit once the window has been installed. Once the window is in, you will be able to measure how wide each one of those 8 individual pieces of brickmould will need to be to cover the gap between the window and the brick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: