Removing exterior threshold

Old 05-24-16, 12:26 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing exterior threshold

Hi Guys (and Gals)!

I am having issues with my exterior door threshold..it has been leaking a bit (water getting in under the threshold), plus it's too high for my door and won't adjust anymore. It is aluminum/met, with a plastic part that the door rests on (much like the picture at the link below) However, I can't seem to find any screws to remove to be able to take the old threshold out. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow if I have a chance.

I cannot remove the plastic caps (or screws) that allow me to adjust the threshold--is it simply adhered to the floor or are there likely nails or screws that I'm not seeing?

http://www.ashireporter.org/photos/t...5/01-Doors.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9f36bf1ba1.jpg
--It also looks kind of like this one, but with plastic instead of wood.

Any advice would be appreciated--I've read articles that state that I will likely have to cut it in half to take it out...but I was hoping to avoid that.. I'm worried that the wood under my threshold has rotted and want to replace the whole deal...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-16, 02:31 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Use a chisel or a drill to remove the plastic caps. Then the screws should be accessible,

Old 05-24-16, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
is it simply adhered to the floor
The threshold should be sealed to the floor with several runs of continuous silicone when the door was installed. I don't understand your reluctance to cutting it in half to remove it. You won't do it any other way. If your subflooring is rotted as well it opens up another can of worms, so be prepared.

Old 05-24-16, 06:45 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Can you post a picture of the outside lower area of the door.
Most often the reason a threshold leaks is because someone's built a stoop, deck, slab to close to the threshold.
Second is improper flashing.
If it's been leaking under the threshold then there's sure to be damage at least to the sub flooring.
What goods it going to do to remove just the threshold?
To address the real issue the whole door, frame and all would need to come out.

Old 05-24-16, 08:08 AM
J
Okay--
I finally found time to post some pics of what I'm dealing with--when I did so, I noticed that the sides of the threshold are not caulked/sealed, which could be part of my problem. My subfloor and the flooring next to the door are not yet rotten and I checked the area under the threshold and the wood does not appear rotten either, but I will have trouble if I don't fix this soon--let me know what you think--I could get better pictures of where the threshold meets my deck...

Name:  20160524_075629.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  24.9 KBName:  20160524_075626.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  28.6 KBName:  20160524_075621.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  23.8 KB

Old 05-24-16, 11:46 AM
J
Can anyone tell me- is this the type that I would have to cut out?

Old 05-24-16, 02:17 PM
There is really nothing wrong with your threshold. The sub threshold wood is probably taking a beating as can be seen from the nosing. If it were mine and I were worried about the wood under the door unit, I would remove the door's interior trim and cut the nails holding the door to the framing and pull the entire unit. Then you can inspect what is under it, make repairs and reinstall the door unit and trim molding. Replace your foam seals while you are at it.

Old 05-24-16, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Sounds like you do not need to remove the sill/threshold. Caulk the ends of the threshold, and replace the weatherstripping that the dog has ruined. Then adjust the threshold by removing the caps as Pulpo mentioned. Check your door bottom weatherstripping (on the bottom of the door itself) and see if it's torn. You could also take a long thin putty knife and see how far under the sill you can slide it. As Larry mentioned, the installer "should have" set the door sill on top of several stripes of sealant. If that step was missed, you might have water blowing in underneath the sill. If the putty knife stops about halfway back, then he probably caulked it.

Old 05-24-16, 05:10 PM
J
Thanks for all the replies and info guys--I decided to remove my threshold, due to the fact that that when I took off the plastic part, I had water pooled under the threshold. Upon removing the entire threshold (including the aluminum part, I found that apparently the installer did not seal the bottom of the door and now the sides of the frame (the jamb) are completely rotted out on the bottom--I think I'll either be replacing the door or hiring someone to fix the rotted portions of my door... it's not the result I had hoped for, but I'm not too shocked judging by how the surrounding floor was swelling

Old 05-24-16, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
You might consider using a sill pan flashing when the next door is being set.

Old 05-24-16, 08:40 PM
J
If I use silicone and adhesive under the new threshold, should I still use a sill pan? I am trying to do it right this time..

Old 05-24-16, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
A sill pan is the fool proof method to ensure nothing comes under the door... assuming you can install the sill pan so that nothing gets under IT. The benefit of a sill pan is that once installed it "completely" protects the framing below the door... more than one, two or three beads of sealant can do. It also provides end dams where the door ends, completely sealing the rough opening in the event that water comes around the ends of the door and into the rough opening. If you have a door that is at grade like yours is, I would recommend it. (That's why I mentioned it) You usually still want to set the door in a bead of sealant... but that is more for air infiltration than water.

Most of the better doors anymore won't have a wood sill or threshold... they will be rot-proof / composite. Endura is one popular one.

Old 05-24-16, 09:43 PM
J
Okay,
I will definitely look into a sill pan--I am in Canada and I'm not sure where I can get one.. I have seen SureSill (I think that's the name on Home depot's website..not sure where else I can find some...

Old 05-24-16, 10:07 PM
J
Did some digging tonight and couldn't find a pan sill...how is the flexible, sticky membrane stuff that you can buy??

Old 05-24-16, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
The most important part of a sill pan is the upturned end dams and rear edge. If a flexible membrane will turn up where it meets a hardwood floor, that would be fine. If your door sits on top of the finished floor or is at the same level, it won't have an upturn.

There have to be hundreds of sources online to get a pan flashing. Amazon is one.

Old 05-24-16, 10:29 PM
J
This is true, but I removed the old threshold already and can't wait on shipping...so I was trying to fund local..

Old 05-24-16, 10:38 PM
J
Ps- amazon canada does not seem to have them

Old 05-25-16, 03:43 AM
Old 05-25-16, 08:36 AM
J
I think I'll have to try and use the flexible membrane as I am merely replacing the threshold and not removing the door, so my house has siding and trim around the door, which won't allow me to place something like the Suresill in there--or at least not that I can figure...I'm going to do everything in my power to ensure that this thing deters water from coming in...