Double hung exterior doors

Old 05-27-16, 02:00 PM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Double hung exterior doors

Hi All, I have a shed with double hung doors, I'll try to explain what's happening,the jambs are plumb the doors are plumb,bottom of right side door on both the jamb side and latch side seem to have swelled making the doors hard to close, both edges have what appears to be a piece of thin pine for weatherstripping,I have tried to plane it,it helped for awhile,but I need a better solution.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  18.4 KB

Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  18.4 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-27-16 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Rotate Images
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-16, 02:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
You might try putting longer screws in the bottom hinges and see if that helps.

Old 05-27-16, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Show us a pic of the bottom hinge on the left door. And the top hinges on both doors. And a pic where the doors meet at the top.

Old 05-27-16, 05:06 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Open the doors and look at the hinges.
Is there empty holes there the supplyed 3" long screws should have been.
If not remove the screws one at a time to see if there's one 3" screw in each hinge.
Post a picture of the inside where the jambs are.
Looking to see how it was shimmed, how big a gap the is.

Old 05-28-16, 08:30 AM
Door jamb is almost tight to framing,no shims,3" screws installed,door frame is Sq.these door were fine when first installed,seems more like a swelling problem,I have had to plane the bottom of the latch side,and hinge side as it shows in the pics,to hard to get decent pics of the framing inside,I am thing of trying to remove that thin pine strip, and replacing it with some composite material,not sure how well that would work.
Thoughts

Old 05-28-16, 09:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Steel doors don't swell and I would think any swelling of the astragal should be minimal. I'd investigate to make sure the framing hasn't moved any. Not ideal but sometimes putting a block of wood against the jamb and whacking it with a hammer will help.

Old 05-28-16, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
My guess would be that if you say there isnt much space in the rough opening, that the bottom right corner of the door must be tight. When water or humidity causes things to swell, there is no space for expansion. Since your pictures show space above the hinge (between door and jamb) it is fine to that point. But I am guessing that from the hinge to the floor, it must be tight with no room. The only fix in that case is to remove the face trim and use a sawzall to create some space in the rough opening. I am also guessing that the fix might be to put shims on the lower left side of the door to shift the entire sill and both doors slightly right.

You say the door is plumb but it's pretty obvious that it's not completely plumb or this wouldn't be happening.

Old 05-28-16, 03:06 PM
I may try the Sawzall route and see what happens,I did notice that the vinyl siding is really tight into the "J"channel on that side.lots of room on the left side between the frame and jamb.

Old 05-28-16, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Geo, if the door is not attached to the opening very well, it could be that the opposite could also be true. The bottom right corner of the door might be able to stay where it is, if you can get the entire rest of the door to adjust to the left. Your comment about there being plenty of room on the left leads me I that direction.

This is why I was hoping you would post a picture of the left side and of the top of the doors where they meet so that we could notice from the reveal on the opposite side and on the top of the doors, which way the entire frame needs to go in order to square it up.

You could also try the long screw as some have mentioned... but it would likely go in the left door hinge... in the bottom hinge... to pull the left door away from the right one. The right side already looks pretty tight.

Old 05-29-16, 05:40 AM
I'll try and get some pics later,what effect will shifting the jamb have on the aluminum threshold?

Old 05-29-16, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
It depends if there is sealant under the threshold or not. If you can open both doors and can pry the threshold up in the middle, that would prove there is no sealant under it. In that case you could shift it to the right slightly. If it's sealed to the floor with sealant, then it isn't going anywhere, and the rest of the door jamb would have to be adjusted to the left based on where the aluminum sill / threshold currently sits.

When you say there is a gap on the left, it makes me think the sill has maybe shifted, which would certainly create your problem. But long screws in one or both of the bottom hinges might also fix it, provided there is some room in the RO for the screw to pull it over. Hard to say without being there to inspect it.

Old 06-02-16, 01:46 PM
X,a short update, threshold was only screwed down,removed the screws and the 3" screws in the hinges and the frame will not budge to the left,even using a sludge hammer,I will try some pics.

Attached Images