Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing a broken glass in double pane aluminum window

Old 06-05-16, 02:39 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

How would I replace a broken glass in a double pane, vertical slide-up window with an aluminum frame? [ATTACH=CONFIG]66938[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66939[/ATTACH]

Attached Images   
Old 06-05-16, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The picture is too tiny and dark to see anything. Your best bet is to just remove the sash and take it to a glass shop where they can measure the size of IGU needed, make it, and install it.

If you were going to diy, you would probably want to physically remove the glass to get an exact measurement, then order the glass yourself. You generally also need the right thickness of glazing tape... hard for us to say what size that would be.

Old 06-05-16, 02:59 PM
T
sorry the pic was too big to post here are the original links.

http://s33.postimg.org/appeifz67/WP_20160605_002_1.jpg
http://s33.postimg.org/czwcvjikv/WP_20160605_003_1.jpg

Can you please explain how to do it in simpler terms, no specialty words (sash / IGU). I'm going to measure it and get the glass cut professionally probably, I just need to know how to put it in. Do I have to unscrew the part in the second picture? What do I do afterwards?

Old 06-05-16, 03:20 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Double pane glass is not a DIY project. Usually special tools are needed and the glass needs to be cut exactly to size. In most cases double pane glass is also insulated or vacuumed or gas injected to gain insulation and avoid condensation between the glass.

Old 06-05-16, 03:25 PM
T
Just to make sure, the window in the picture needs special tools to work on? (I can provide more pics if it's not clear, just let me know of what) So what would I need to do to get the glass replaced? Do I need to take the window out of the wall completely and just install a new one? Both the top and the bottom portion is broken.

Old 06-05-16, 03:32 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Good luck with that idea.
It's a sealed unit.
Pictures you posted do not show much.
Need to find out what brand it is and replace the whole sash.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wind...HdowDH4QsAQIGw
Just removing and replacing the glass is not going to reseal it and add the needed argon gas and it's just going to fog up.

Old 06-05-16, 03:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but is this window attached to a home or an RV? If it's typical 2 x 4 frame house the window should be able to detach the sash from the framing. Then you can bring it to a glazier for repair. If its an RV then drive it to an RV repair shop and have them take care of it.
Yes, more detailed and bigger pics would help.

Old 06-05-16, 03:37 PM
T
what if I don't know what brand it is, it's a really old window and has been in the house ever since I moved in about 15 years ago? And where can I get these window "sashes" without the whole window?

edit @norm, it's a house, and would it be cheaper to just buy a new one? It's a really standard window and pretty old.

Old 06-05-16, 03:41 PM
I'm afraid this is a situation that will require a professional window installer to replace the whole thing. If it makes you feel any better, windows do have a limited lifetime and at some point need to be replaced.

Old 06-05-16, 03:46 PM
T
the problem is that I'm the professional who was hired heh. So how do I do it?

Old 06-05-16, 03:50 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
There is no such thing as a "standard window".
Look in the lower right hand side on the bottom of the glass and see if there's an etched ID #.
Tip the lower sash out and see if there's a sticker some place.
Worst case replace the whole unit. It's going to work in your favor.
Alum. framed windows transfer heat and cold to the inside, are going to condinsate far more moisture to the inside.

Old 06-05-16, 03:56 PM
Tim,

If you're a professional then I assume you're not a window expert but instead a professional handyman. There are literally hundreds of window types and methods. Do a Google titled
Metal frame double glass double hung windows (images). Again I ask if this is a 2 x4 frame home or an RV or perhaps a mobile home that is now stationary. If it's a mobile home then perhaps a mobile home manufacture can help identify the maker.

However you can just start by removing every screw in sight and see what falls out. You can't really break it any more so. But you may end up with a hole that will need to be covered with plywood until a new unit is found.

edit: I keep referring to an RV or mob ile home because this type of window is common on vehicles such as buses, trains, etc...

Old 06-05-16, 04:08 PM
T
Allright thank you. I have to go see what kind of window it is as I'm not sure if that's the window the client has, I just took a picture of my window as I assumed it would be the worst case scenario as I see no way to get into it. Thanks )

Old 06-05-16, 05:55 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
When my sister bought her house there was at least one window that had "lost its seal" and was fogging between the panes. She found the manufacturer's name on the aluminum spacer between the panes, called them and they sent a man out to determine the correct size of insulated glass unit (IGU). About a week later he returned with the new glass and in a matter of minutes he had removed the sash, removed the trim pieces, removed the old glass and then reversed the process to install the new glass. I don't think he was there for more than 45 minutes maximum. Cost was nothing because it was still under the original 20 year "no fog" guarantee.

No one can know everything. You may be a "professional" in many different areas but it is no crime to not know how to do everything yourself. A true pro knows when he has reached his level of competence and when it is time to call in someone else with more expertise on the subject. I am very well versed in plumbing and electrical but if I had a clogged side sewer I wouldn't hesitate a minute to calling in a sewer expert.

Old 06-05-16, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
The sash is the part that slides up and down.. the frame and the glass as a unit. You probably need to disassemble the sash to get to the IGU, the double paned insulating glass unit. I would need pics of the outside to know how these come apart. Much of the time, with an aluminum sash, you take the sash out of the frame, disassemble the sash, removing the screws at the corners. If the IGU has a rubber boot (marine glazing) around it, that gets reused. Like I said, if you were going to DIY, you would need to disassemble it, get the exact size and thickness of the IGU, call a glass company, order the glass, when it comes in, install it. If it has the rubber boot, it's pretty easy. Little more complicated if it has 2 faced tape glazing because then you need to get the right size and thickness of tape.

As I mentioned, your best bet is to take the sash somewhere to have them measure it. Bring the broken one it back and put it back in the window. Because it's going to be a week or so before they get the IGU made. When the glass comes in, take the sash out again and drop it off for them to repair it. Or just call a glass company to come measure and do it for you. Either way. I make good money replacing glass and wouldn't mind doing it all day every day. Not that hard, like Furd said it doesnt take long when you know what youre doing, but it's critical you measure correctly and don't even make a 1/16" mistake on the thickness of the IGU. Might as well throw it away if it's wrong.

If we have to describe every step, this is probably something you need to watch a video for, so maybe check youtube.

Old 06-06-16, 05:18 PM
T
Everybody thanks for replying. So I went to see it today and it does indeed turn out to be this regular 30x54 alum single hung, double pane window. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't but it appears everyone in this area has these. In any case the window is just cracked, not broken and it's pretty hard to get to, I was sitting on top of drawer just trying to measure it and there definitely wasn't any brand names on the glass or the frame.

So you're saying these windows are not standard size and if I just get a brand new window from home depot the sashes from there won't fit? I measured the sashes to be 29 x 31.5 approximately.

Also what sort of prices are we looking at if I had to go to a custom shop to make the sash. And what should I charge the person for installation? I was hoping to get the window for 120 and charge 80 for install? Does that sound good?

Old 06-06-16, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Who said anything about replacing the sashes? Thats not even an option. You are replacing the IGU, the double pane insulating glass unit that is in the sash. If you can't post a closeup pic of the exterior glass edge, I guess I'm done here. $200 each to replace the glass would be good money.

Old 06-06-16, 06:12 PM
F
Honestly, if I were doing the job I would sub it out to the glass company and then charge the customer another 15% or so for my time in finding the sub.

Old 06-06-16, 06:18 PM
T
what? I'm not replacing the sashes? By the way I can only post a closeup of my own window which looks almost identical but the broken window is at a different location.

oh ok I see what it is now. I finally found a video relating to the type of window I have. So I'm just replacing the glass box, and then inserting it back into the sash. So this should be really simple no? All I have to do is just get a brand new window and replace the glass boxes right? They're all standard on the same size windows I assume?

Last edited by Tim Akgayev; 06-06-16 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
No they are not standard. I would recommend you reread this entire thread.

Old 06-06-16, 06:59 PM
T
So where can I get these things made? I just searched "custom window igu" and nothing. I could possible take out the "sash" and bring it in, but where?

Old 06-06-16, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Any commercial glass shop.

Old 06-06-16, 07:20 PM
T
All I got is some auto glass and mirror in my area. Maybe a window shop?

Old 06-06-16, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
If they sell mirrors they probably can also get the window glass.

Old 06-06-16, 07:40 PM
Many auto glass shops also do window repair if you bring it to them.

Old 06-06-16, 07:48 PM
T
Allright thanks, I will call the nearest one on the morrow, maybe it'll be cheaper than buying a window, who knows right?

Old 06-06-16, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
The glass should cost no more than about $75 for each IGU. Labor is extra.

Old 06-07-16, 09:41 AM
T
Allright, so I'm calling the places now, so far called about 5, the auto stores don't even know what I'm talking about when I say insulated glass unit, and can't even say for sure they can do it. The other company I called gave me a quote of $500!
I explained that I don't need installation I just need the actual IGU just to be ordered for me, he's like yep, that's $500. I'm in NYC so I don't even know if I can find anything cheaper than that.

Old 06-07-16, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Cripes... that's crazy. I would do more calling around. Harding glass might be there... out here in Nebraska the glass alone would cost about $50-75 each. But you have to get it wholesale... not from a retailer who gets itvfrom someone else and marks it up. Of course unions out there might make things cost more.

For that much money, you can't afford to make a mistake measuring the glass so you better take out the old one and measure it EXACTLY. The thickness is critical. Also don't break it when putting it in!

Old 06-07-16, 11:53 PM
T
Ohhh so the $75 is a wholesale price? I obviously don't need more than 2 pieces, so I double I will be able to buy it "wholesale", but what is the actual retail value of them?

It can't be $500, a brand new window from home depot is under 100.

Anyways I'll keep looking but thanks for at least pointing me in the right direction, hopefully I'll find an auto shop that actually does windows, it should be cheaper there (I hope).

Old 06-08-16, 03:31 AM
You can't buy it wholesale. Not unless you buy $500 worth of glass. Wholesale is reserved for business people. My friend I'm afraid you bit off a little more than you can chew. I would tell the client that unfortunately you are unable to do this job due to inability to locate material and
they will need to call a window and door company who specialize in this type of item. Then wash your hands of the whole thing. Nothing good can come of this. Just my opinion.

Old 06-08-16, 10:23 AM
F
I agree with Norm 100 percent! You really need to back away from this job as gracefully as possible. Apologize profusely to your client and don't be reticent in explaining that both the work and the materials are far more than you first thought.

Trust me, your client will be better off and you will be better off. Further, your client will eventually thank you for being so honest rather than doing a shoddy job.

Old 06-08-16, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Just bought one today, paid retail price... $94. Can't believe they cost so much out there. Guess it's expensive to live in NY!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: