Finishing these windows

Old 08-06-16, 03:50 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finishing these windows

Wife and I just recently purchased our first home, However the downstairs living room still needs to be finished, including the Windows. If anyone has any advise as to how to finish them off and make them look good please let me know. List of tools I would need and steps to finishing it. Also the 2 boards below the window, the 1 right up against it and the shelf that extends past it are not level with each other it kinda angles up in the middle. Pictures Provided

Attached Images     
Old 08-06-16, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! For the two sides and top you will need to measure from the window frame to the edge of the sheetrock and rip 1x material to that width. This will form your jamb extensions for those sides. The bottom, we can't see it all, so it will be a guess. You will need to rip 1x material about an inch wider than the bottom and long enough to cover whatever you have. Then install the sides and top. Maybe a picture showing the entire bottom would help, along with dimensions.

Old 08-06-16, 06:07 PM
A
alright I will take measurements and better pictures tomorrow after work and post them up here

Old 08-06-16, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It's not often that the measurement (that Larry mentioned you find) is equal on all 4 corners of the window. I've found an easy way to do it is to just measure the 4 corners... take the smallest measurement, and rip them all that width.

Then measure the size of the window, and assemble a 4 sided frame (a jamb) out of those rips. It will be the same exact size as the window. Then using shims, shim that box into the rough opening, lining it up with the window. Pull all corners of the jamb to be flush with the wall (or slightly recessed ~ 1/16"), and fasten it to the rough opening, making sure it's plumb, level and square... and straight. If there is a gap where it meets the window, just put a piece or trim, such as baseshoe, around the window to cover that gap. Then apply the casing.

On the ledge, I'm guessing you will want to trim that separately... laying another board in front of the jamb that you just installed. It should step down 1/8" or so where the two jambs meet. That board will need to protrude past the front of the wall by 1" to 1 1/2" or so, creating a lip in front, then you will apply an "apron" to the wall underneath that lip. The apron trim can be anything, but a piece of casing under the lip is the usual way it is trimmed.

Old 08-07-16, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would have built it as a single unit, but what Brant notes in making the stool of a separate piece makes sense. Basically you will build a box and insert it into the opening and shim around it so the window reveal is equal all around. Then you can deal with the stool part.

Old 08-07-16, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm just a painter but I've always install the stool first and then set the jamb and casing on top of it ... does it make a difference?

Old 08-07-16, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing that ledge runs all the way around all the basement exterior walls, so it can't really be treated like a stool... it's too long / wide.

Old 08-08-16, 01:15 PM
A
the ledge does not run all around just on the wall the windows are

Old 08-08-16, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, on all the exterior walls with windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: