Sash pack or replacement windows?

Old 08-27-16, 02:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sash pack or replacement windows?

I need to replace some old single pane, double hung wood windows. I immediately thought of vinyl replacement units. Then I remembered some companies sell sash packs. Can someone tell me the pros and cons between the two?

Old 08-27-16, 04:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I find it surprising how similar in cost sashes can be versus a complete window. The big negative to replacing the entire window is the trim work especially if using a new construction window. If using a replacement window I don't like that the glass/window area gets smaller because you are installing a window frame inside a window frame. But a benefit of either type new window is that they will likely be able to tilt in for cleaning which might not be an option with replacement sashes.

Old 08-27-16, 06:08 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Sash Packs

I installed sash packs and have been well pleased with them. The ones I installed included new tracks which allowed the sashes to tilt for cleaning or removal. Only required about 30 minutes per window.

Old 08-27-16, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sash packs work well in fairly modern window frames but can be a bit drafty in older window jambs that may not be as plumb, square, or parallel.

As mentioned, you get more glass area with sash packs, but they can also be a little more drafty.

Old 08-27-16, 04:18 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I've installed hundreds of replacement windows and never once had anyone notice or mention the smaller glass area.
That tip in window cleaning is one of the best features.

Old 08-27-16, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Ive installed thousands and had LOTS of people mention it. Especially women who work at their kitchen sink a lot.

Old 08-28-16, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I, too, have been told of the reduced glass area in some options.

So, how many options do I have in total? Sash packs, pocket replacement window, Full window replacement?
  • Sash Packs- Easy, lower cost, but potentially drafty
  • Pocket Replacement- Easy installation, potentially reduced glass area, higher cost
  • Full window replacement- Very involved installation, interior trim must be removed and reinstalled, but everything is totally new.

Are there other options to consider?

I am usually the kind of guy who would want to do to full replacement. The entire thing is changed out and I will not have to think about it again. In this case though it just seems to be a lot of additional work and cost for a house I will not be in for more than 10 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: