Screen door separating from prehung frame

Old 08-28-16, 06:11 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Screen door separating from prehung frame

I noticed that the screen door on my installed prehung frame was sagging a bit in the corner (pic attached) and was trying to determine what was causing it. The door was installed 6 years ago when we purchased the house. I saw that the frame that the screen door is attached to seems to be pulling away from the frame (pic attached). What's the best course of action to get the screen door securely reattached to the frame? I can see that there are nails that are supposed to hold it in place, but there's no exposed nail head to strike. The separation is only toward the top of the door, it is securely attached toward the bottom.

I was thinking that I could use a rolled up towel and a rubber mallet to pound it back into place, but I am concerned it may just pull away again. Would something like Liquid Nails or something to that effect work better?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Images    
Old 08-28-16, 06:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How about a pic from further back [include the entire door/frame] that shows how/why the door is sagging.

Old 08-28-16, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well, there are no screws in the hinge side holes for one thing.

Old 08-28-16, 06:48 AM
A
Thanks for the replies. Pardon my ignorance, but I assumed the door was installed complete when they did it. Any particular screws I need to set it? Specific washers or anything?

I will include full sized pics to help square away what the problem is.

So, safe to assume the separation and the sag are from two different issues?

***I am having trouble uploading the other pics, will try later on***

Name:  IMG_5264.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  33.7 KB

Old 08-28-16, 07:06 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Most storm door frames are attached to the brick molding, the screws will be on the outside of the frame.
There covered up now with a plastic strip on the outside of the frame that needs to come off.
If they installed the screws to close to the edge of the brick molding over time it may have split.
If no one install a safety spring on the door to keep it from opening to far and it was over extended it can pull the screws out of the molding.
Prime-Line Storm Door Chain and Spring-K 5141 - The Home Depot
Nails should never be used when installing a storm door, you may be looking at the flat heads of the rivets for the hinges.

Old 08-28-16, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
They are the same issue. I would first install the 8 screws that are missing in the hinge side of the door and see if it helps. There is usually a closer on both top and bottom on a full glass door.

Old 08-28-16, 05:48 PM
A
Thanks for the advice! I am going to pick up the extra hardware this week and get to it on the weekend. Thanks again!

Old 08-28-16, 06:20 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I'm betting the previous owner installed it himself as opposed to a pro. And Joe's remark about a wind safety spring is important. I don't understand why door manufactures don't supply or even advise the use of the safety spring. We sell the Larson and Pella brand storm doors and no place do they mention or recommend a safety spring. And further still the contractors we use to install it do not offer it unless the customer asked for it. I've learned to always suggest the safety spring if I sell the door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: