Window springs??

Old 11-27-16, 08:27 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: united states
Posts: 98
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Window springs??

Hi All, bear with me if I use the wrong terminology. I have a question about our approx. 20 year old Certainteed windows. I currently have one that will not go all the way up and it just doesn't sound right when it is operated within the amount of distance that it will open. This is where i'll need some support on my improper terms. It appears that in the track on both sides of the windows that there are two plastic type thingys that are apparently (?) spring loaded with what I call a long type of metal in ribbon form that rolls up inside these plastic things due to some kind of spring loaded system (?) The bottom portion of this ribbon is attached to the slide that the bottom of the window goes into. Upon closer inspection it appears that one of, or both of the ribbon type springs on one side of the window have broken as the very thin metal ribbon material is all kinked up inside the track. The actual ribbon is not broken, but it is all kinked up inside the track as though it wouldn't re-track inside of its housing, thus keeping the window from going up all the way. So my question is....can these "Springs" be replaced ? It seems as though they should except for the fact that how do they come out of the track ? There is a small opening at the top of each track that has a plug type thing in it. Is that there so if these parts do need to be replaced that one can remove the plug thingy and slide the broken springs up and out of the track ? Hopefully I haven't totally confused everyone and someone will be able to chime in with a good suggestion. And as always....Thanks for your help
Old 11-27-16, 03:08 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,463
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
There called balancers.
Got some pictures.
Yes they can be replaced.
Worth it, not likely.
Old 11-27-16, 03:30 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,117
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
No way to know for sure without pictures... but if it is like a ribbon it sounds like a constant force balance. If it is more like a long tube with a spiral rod, those are spiral balances. Either can be replaced, but since we aren't psychic it's hard to say what part you need or even if it is still available. Knowing the right term is half the battle, so google constant force balance and see if the images look like what you have.

Swisco is a good place to start when looking for parts.
Old 11-28-16, 05:16 AM
johnam's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 1,870
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
This sounds like what you have. CertainTeed used these type of balances.
Try and search for "constant force balances".

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: