Exterior door hinges question

Old 12-19-16, 08:19 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior door hinges question

First off, let me say that I know very little about construction so take that into consideration if you reply to my question.

Our front door swings to the inside when opened so the hinges, for that door, are hidden from the outside but on our two outside back doors (they open to the outside) the hinges can be seen, and accessed, from the outside of the house. This seems to be an unwise way to hang an exterior door because someone would only have to knock out the hinge pin, on these doors, to access the interior of the house.

A couple of questions:

1. Why would a builder hang an outside door that would expose the hinges to the outside of the door?

2. What should/can I do to remedy what looks to me to be a security
problem?

I do have a home security system (cellular) and motion detectors inside of the house.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer me.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie

Old 12-19-16, 08:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Usually a door that swings out has a different type of hinge. Most have a little tab that goes into a corresponding hole in the other hinge to prevent the door from being removed even with the pins taken out.

Old 12-19-16, 08:49 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Fire codes often require out-opening doors in commercial and industrial settings because they are safer in emergency situations. While not required for residential use, there may be other reasons an out-opening door is preferred, often having to do with opening clearances or interior design.

In any case, there are hinges available with non-removable pins for just such applications. If you are sure the pins in your hinges can be removed, you could consider replacing them with the non-removable type to improve security. It would be easiest if you could find the exact same size hinge, with the same hole pattern, the same thickness, and with the same type of corners (rounded or square).

Old 12-19-16, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
That is the standard hinge that all outswinging residential doors come with, unless specified otherwise, and it is not really a security risk. Just removing the hinge pin does NOT allow the door to swing open. You would need a pretty big pry bar to bend the hinge out of the way to get the door open. If you dont believe me try taking the hinge pin out and see for yourself.

The security hinges are safer, but anyone who wants in will just break the glass. Security is all relative.

Old 12-20-16, 04:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

I wanted to thank all of you who took time to share your knowledge about my question. What I felt was a big problem turns out to be a minor fix thanks to y'all.

Hope each of you has a Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

Charlie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: