Removed bi-pass doors to install barn doors

Old 01-04-17, 12:32 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removed bi-pass doors to install barn doors

Hi all,

I took out (and threw away) the by-pass doors of a 48" closet. I bought two 24" solid pine doors and barn door hardware. The doors are 80" and the barn door rail must be 1 & 11/16" inch above the door height. This spot (81 & 11/16") came right on the trim, not the header. I removed the trim and found 2" of sliding door hardware under the trim that I also removed. I removed all trim around the door.

NOW, the rough opening is at 82" so to install the barn doors I have to put them in the header at about 83" which will make the doors about 1.5" too short and will leave a 1.5" gap between the door and the floor. This will look bad and also the door guides won't work!

I thought about putting a 5/4" board (4" wide) by screwing it to the jambs but I think it may not be enough to support the barn doors. Any idea on what to do here? I hate to tear out the entire header just for 1.5" of opening height but I need to install the new doors.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-04-17, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, you will need an 8'+ long 1x4 or 5/4x4 mounted on top. It will be nailed to the wall studs beyond the header, to the header itself, as well as to your jamb. You do realize that you will be able to see past the edges of your two 24" doors and straight into the closet since they will be spaced away from the wall, right? Barn doors usually are sized so that they overlap over the trim so that you can't see straight past them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: