Window apron addition

Old 01-23-17, 01:08 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window apron addition

My house was built with plain old drywall window casing. I'd like to add an apron to the bottom of the windows, but am not sure of a couple things.
1. Should I install apron over drywall or cut out the drywall in the base of window frame and attach to studs?
2. If so, what about metal drywall corner bead? What's the best tool to cut without damaging it?

Old 01-23-17, 01:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
While you might want to remove the drywall 'ledge' that would be the only drywall you'd need to remove. The apron always gets installed over the drywall. The stool can go over or instead - a lot depends on how it interacts with the window operation.

Old 01-23-17, 05:33 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A picture or two would be informative!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-04-17, 09:06 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 03-04-17, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 770 Votes on 711 Posts
If you want specific advice, we would need an actual picture of YOUR window sill, not what someone else's window sill looks like.

If you have at least 3/4" of height showing above the drywall, you could probably leave everything as is, and place a new sill and apron on top of the existing drywall and corner bead.

But if adding a new 3/4" sill on top of the drywall raises it too high in relation to the window, the drywall should be removed. You would not need to cut the side corner bead at all, the sill would be notched around it the same regardless. The bottom corner bead would be removed along with the drywall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: