Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Patio slider set deep below stucco on one side

Old 02-18-17, 01:16 PM
K
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts

I had the old slider replaced with a new construction slider and paid for a chip out installation. I don't know how better to describe the problem with a slider other than to show you a picture.

While on the right, the frame is flush with the existing stucco exterior, the frame is set deeper into the wall the further you go towards the right. When you get all the way to the right, the frame is set in so that the existing stucco would have been an inch proud of the frame. At the top of the right side I haven't measured, but it looks like it is closer to a quarter inch.

The installer trowled the new stucco down from where the chip out ended to the level of the door frame. Can anyone give me an idea of (1) why it would have been installed like this and (2) how things can be corrected short of tearing the house down? Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-17, 01:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
There should have either been a frame that came out flush to the stucco or the stucco should have had an edge that returned back to the slider frame.

Old 02-18-17, 02:52 PM
K
Is there any reason you can think of for it being installed deep into the wall like that? The unit was ordered with something called a sill support, but none was installed even though it was a line item on the order. I believe the purpose of the support was to allow the assembly to be installed with more of the sill extending out beyond the edge of the slab.

Last edited by klawman213; 02-18-17 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 03:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
How does the door/frame correspond with the interior wall?

Old 02-18-17, 04:35 PM
K
At first glance, it looks correct on the inside, but on closer examination the interior of the frame on the one side looks as though it may almost come to the inside of the drywall, assuming 5/8" sheetrock. It looks to be about 3/8" further away from the inner side of the sheetrock on the opposite side, the handle side. [That is the side on which the surface of the frame is set in about 1/8" deep. In my first point I incorrectly reported that it was flush with the existing stucco. It looked flush at a distance when compared with the left side.]

See the pictures of the interior treatment. The photo without the handles is on the side that is set in the furthest. If my eyes and math are right, the board on the handle side is about 3/8" deeper than the other.

Attached Images   
Old 02-22-17, 01:40 PM
K
The big box store that sold the door is sending someone out to look at the installation. I expect that someone is going to claim that the door was hung like this because the structure wasn't plumb. As well as I can tell, both the interior and exterior of the wall is plumb, though there is no way to tell if the interior to which the fins were nailed was or was not plumb. Even if it was out of plumb, isn't that what shimming is for?

Old 03-03-17, 11:44 AM
K
Just a quick follow up and thank you for your help on this one, even if it may appear that you didn't say much. The big box store had three people inspect the door, yesterday, and their guy took one look at it and immediately saw the problems, of which the main one was that the one side of the door frame was cocked so that the lower left was pushed inwards. Of course his suggested fix was garbage. I told them they have to pull the door and set it correctly.

I won't bore you with all the stuff, but the door guy volunteered that in order for them to fix the flooring the door has to be removed.

Old 03-19-17, 05:31 PM
K
Update. The box store finally agreed to remove the door so that it can be properly installed. What may have got them to cave was when I pointed out that the installation was illegal since the licensed contractor they selected failed to obtain the required city building permit. Moreover, the market value of my home was diminished by the lack of the permit.

Old 03-29-17, 12:41 PM
K
Update, the big box store had no interest in removing and properly installing the door.

Old 06-26-17, 07:53 AM
K
Thread supersceded by thread re new install

The big box store being threatened with litigation is in process of installing a new door, which is turning into a nightmare, but since the problem is now what they are doing I am posting about it in a new thread in this forum called "How (not) to replace door in stucco wall - a big box store installation".