new construction or replacement windows?

Old 02-24-17, 03:59 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new construction or replacement windows?

I have an attic that about my garage that I am turning into living space (3 bedrooms), it currently has no windows and is unfinished 2x6 construction. have have limited experience and am learning as I go.

I had priced out windows and had settled on the American craftsman 70 series line from home depot, new construction, was about 351 a window. To humor my wife, we went into the local bargain outlet and I saw American Craftsman 70 series windows for 99 a piece but they are replacement windows, no nailing fin, no extension jams but they are energy star rated.

I really do not know which way to go, if I get the new construction windows I can get my windows molded together that need to be molded together, I get the extension jams and the j channel filler with a total of around 3500 or I can get the replacement windows for a little over a grand.

I feel like there is a right way to do things and that new construction windows would be that way but this is a substantial savings.....does it really matter which way I go? think my codes officer will frown upon this?(haven't been able to reach him) Should I spend the extra money for new construction windows because that's the right way to do it?

thank you for your help.

Old 02-24-17, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Unless you plan on building the sill, frame, stops, etc... to put the replacement window into, you will want the new construction window with a nailing fin that can be flashed, taped to your wrb. Also because sticking a replacement window into a rough opening and then caulking around it, or putting stops around all 4 sides is no way to install and flash a window.

Old 02-24-17, 06:04 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I'm with xsleeper on this one!
Just a really bad idea.
I've worked on many a wall where people have cheaped out and tried do it that way because they "got a deal".
Are those new windows egress rated?
There's a whole lot of codes involved, permits and inspections needed for what your trying to do, hope you have that covered.
What size are the floor joist and spans?
Reason I ask is if it was built with no windows then likely it was not built for living space.

Old 02-24-17, 09:37 AM
P
thanks for the replies guys, it helps, I feel better spending the money knowing it is the right way to do it rather then spending the money because I think its the right way to do it. this attic was built for intended living space, I had plans drawn up when I built the garage. I have been doing a little bit here and there when I get some extra money.

Old 02-24-17, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Like Joe mentioned, bedroom windows must meet egress requirements (5.7 sq ft clear opening) as well as other size minimums/maximums. Generally that will mean a casement window or a very large double hung or slider. At least one window must be egress in each bedroom where an exterior door is not present.

Old 02-24-17, 02:12 PM
P
Ok in regards to the ingress/egress, the engineer calls for two Anderson 3046 windows molded together, which one by its self does not meet the ingress/egress requirements but when I get them molded together they will? my plans had been approved by our codes officer 3 or so years ago.

Old 02-24-17, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
The 3046 is an egress window. See: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...PERfhX9u1Z3M9A

When 2 windows are joined together, they are called common "mulled", or mulled for short. A single 3046 meets egress too.

Old 02-26-17, 04:47 AM
P
Your right, I had glanced at a quickly at a chart from Anderson listing the egress windows and I skipped over it. thank you, this has been very helpfull

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: