Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

door threshold doesn't cover flooring; baseboard chair rail issue for trim

Old 03-05-17, 12:31 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I got my new door installed. Made jamb extensions so jamb even with drywall. Put extensions on inside OVER jamb with 1/4" reveal for hinge clearance. Ready to install trim. But have 2 problems needing resolution.

The old door trim was installed with notches at hinges. UGLY. I need wider trim to cover beyond the edge of previous location (have troubling getting caulk off drywall). But there is 4 inch baseboard and chair rail that goes up to edge of where old trim was. Getting wider trim will require me to cut the baseboard and chair rail on both sides of the doorway. Is there are way to cut them in place? What kind of saw would get a nice straight cut while still on the wall?

The aluminum threshold from the prehung door doesn't extend far enough into doorway to cover flooring (an see slab concrete). And barely allows weatherstripping to seal. The strip is not rectangle but angles in towards latch side. What can I install to fix this? Doesn't have to be pretty as I plan to have a rug at the door inside that the will cover this "patch"

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-17, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Putting any extension on the interior is not usually the best method. But it is what it is I guess.

To answer your questions, you can either take the moulding off the wall and cut it as you normally would, on a miter saw after the casing is up, and then reinstall it... or you can cut it on the wall with an oscillating multi tool like the Fein Multimeter or any other similar knockoff brand. But you have to be pretty exact when you do it that way.

No idea what your on about in that last bit about it not sealing. Should seal just fine if they caulked under the door with sealant before it was set into the opening and the fact that it doesn't meet your floor evenly has nothing to do with the door meeting the sill and threshold properly, which it should if it's adjusted and installed correctly.

You just need a piece of trim to fill in the gap, and then another to cover the edge of the floor. Anyone with a table saw and a couple strips of oak could do that, then stain it to match the floor. Problem to me looks like the door is so low you could never put a rug in front of the door without the food catching on it. If so, that would be a pretty rookie mistake. Prehung doors should usually be installed high enough that they can clear a thick rug.

Next time, you could get a door that is the right wall thickness to begin with, or at least use one that is closer to being the right wall thickness, and not just use one off the shelf that's made for a 4 9/16" wall, forcing you to add onto both sides just to make it work.

Old 03-05-17, 04:10 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Putting jamb extender on inside of jamb is done all the time. Yes, the "preferred" way is to take off brick moulding to put extenders on outside of new door frame and replace brick moulding. Then you invalidate your door warranty. I didn't know anything about walls being different thickness (guy at big box store only asked about rough cut width and length. Said nothing about jamb thickness) but would still have the problem with chair rail and baseboard.

The "sweep" at bottom of door seal is what barely seals. Just first inside fin touches threshold. This door doesn't have the ability to adjust height of threshold. Maybe I need to buy sweep with longer fins. There is plenty of clearance under door to swing in over even a thick shag rug.

Other complex issue that came up was that door rough cut itself was not square and plumb, likely due to raising one side of the house in foundation repair. So I decided to have door installed LEVEL. The space between jamb and stud is not same from top to bottom though.

One "PLUS" to putting jamb extension on inside, it will be harder to kick in door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: