Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Ideas for making an old basement window look decent?

Old 03-26-17, 01:17 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I'm adding a bathroom to my basement and it just happens to be where a small ground-level window is. The window itself is in okay shape, but it is terribly ugly and not just a clean up job. I'm looking for ideas on how I can make this look decent from the interior without spending a ton. The frame itself is steel and was poured directly into the concrete foundation, so not something I think I can just remove and replace. It's somewhat rusty. The glass itself has many layers of dirty caulk all around it.

I don't need it to open or to be completely see-through - I thought about leaving what's there and trying to find some sort of frosted glass to put in front of it that might attach to the wooden frame? Or glass blocks perhaps? I'm not quite sure how that would work. I have the steel frame in the concrete, then 1" foam insulation, then 2x4 wooden frame and then sheet rock. What would you do with this? Name:  20170326_150817.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  25.5 KBName:  20170326_150842.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  29.0 KB

Old 03-26-17, 02:07 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Leave the steel frame buried in the concrete. Remove everything else. If you can't screw into the steel, build a new frame with adhesive. Then you can do whatever you want with it.

Old 03-26-17, 04:17 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Tear out the metal frame and buy a glass block insert. Insert gets mortared into the opening and you have a clean, safe, energy efficient window!

Old 03-27-17, 03:01 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think the original post indicated he wanted to clean it up and use it rather than go another route. Clean the glass and metal frame as best you can, install jamb extensions from the metal frame to the edge of the sheetrock (1x material), then trim around the opening, caulking all the cracks. You can use nails in the studs while using Fuze-it on the concrete portion to hold the jamb in place.

Old 04-03-17, 09:00 PM
A
Thanks everyone! You're right that originally I was hoping to leave what I could in place. However, after further inspection on the outside, the metal frame is quite rusted and I'm now re-thinking things. Can I remove the steel frame from the concrete? If so, how? And is that the best move if the outside is completely rusty? (To the point where it flakes off entirely on the edges).

PS - I'm a 'she', not a 'he' but please don't let that influence your answers

Old 04-04-17, 03:17 AM
Well, OK, then. Removing the frame is pretty straight forward but will require a lot of work. You will need a reciprocating saw to cut the metal frame, and you will, or should, need to remove the glass. Once the glass is removed, cut as far as you can at the middle of the top rail and middle of the bottom rail. Then use a pry bar to collapse the top and bottom. Generally this will cause the sides to become loose as well and the frame will break. Be careful not to chip out too much of the concrete as you go, although some will be inevitable.

Old 04-24-17, 07:40 PM
A
Hi everyone! So I decided to go the ambitious route and do a full replacement. I recruited some help and a sawz all and the window and metal frame are now gone.

The concrete that's left is ridged, not flat. (I can post a pic if needed, it looks like the bottom has little steps that were under the steel). And I'd like to use just a standard size window - possibly this one: TAFCO WINDOWS 11.875 in. x 31.625 in. NailUp2 Ice Pattern Solid Glass Block Window-NU2-271S-I - The Home Depot

My rough opening is 33" x 12.5". So what do I do now? Do I need to chisel out at least the bottom of the cement so it's flat? Is installing the window itself difficult? I'm debating hiring it out ...

Old 04-25-17, 03:42 AM
I would order a window to fit the RO. Buying a "standard" window is just what some store thought everyone would like. You will be "making do" with that window, although you can make it fit with additional trim. Also, I would look into a sliding window rather than solid glass block to allow ventilation into the room. You limit yourself with glass block.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: