wooden window get rotted

Old 04-01-17, 07:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wooden window get rotted

Hello,
Can someone recommend what to do with wooden windows when they rotted at the corners? The wood gets dark and soft at the corners. Not all but some of them, see photos. The windows are wooden inside and, I guess made of some type of plastic outside. They windows are 15 years old and were covered with some kind of varnish inside.

Is there anything that I can do without replacing them? It might be too pricey to replace all of them for me...

What do I do to avoid the same problem for the windows which are still in good conditions?

Thank you!

Name:  widow.rot1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  19.9 KBName:  window.rot2.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  36.7 KB

Old 04-01-17, 08:16 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I imagine that water entered for 1 reason or another. Did you look outside or water test it, with a hose?

Old 04-01-17, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Unless the wood is actually soft it's mainly a cosmetic problem. When water gets under the varnish, it's trapped and cant dry out. Likely happens in the winter when it's cold outside, warm inside. Not much you can do about it... it's a common problem with wood windows.

Old 04-01-17, 08:31 PM
M
I don't see water right now, but the inspector mentioned something about water damage. Maybe it is more visible in the winter... not sure..

Old 04-02-17, 07:19 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I gather the bottom photo is of a sliding glass door, not a window. A great deal will be dependent on how water infiltration is handled from the outside.

Old 04-02-17, 06:30 PM
M
Yes, one of the photos is a glass door. I dont see any water outside

Old 04-02-17, 06:34 PM
M
Is there any way to repair it? What if i remove the soft pieces, sand it and use some products like Bondo? I have heard people use it to fix windows

How about Epoxy Resin or Minwax wood filler?

Old 04-02-17, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Don't know what you would gain. Bondo doesn't take stain. You could bondo it and paint it a color that resembles your gold/orange stain color, but IMO it's a lot of effort for a small improvement.

Old 04-03-17, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If you are going to use Bondo [or any filler] you might as well prime and paint it.
The solid wood with water stains might be made to look better by sanding and applying a wood bleach. If I was to do any patching on the jamb [and keep the natural/stain look] I'd cut out the bad wood and reinsert new wood [dutchman]

Old 04-08-17, 07:10 AM
M
Ok, thank you for your answers!

I think I understand what I can do. I will chop out the rot, apply the Wood Hardener, then fill it with Bondo. Then Sand, paint it.

Can anybody help me with some information on how to use Wood Hardener (Minwax), and Bondo to fix rotted wood? maybe some youtube videos?

Old 04-08-17, 07:34 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cut out the rot, mix the filler with the appropriate amount of hardener and apply it liberally. Not too much to where it will sag, but overfill slightly. You can sand it down smooth. You can even make two passes if it starts to sag on you. Mixing it "hot" will cause it to set up super fast, so you have to get it on quickly. For a first timer, I would not recommend hot mix. I don't know of any videos, but I am sure Minwax has some on the tube.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: