Sliding patio door sitting on bowed sill.

Old 04-13-17, 11:49 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sliding patio door sitting on bowed sill.

I'm new to the forum and have a question about my sliding patio door installed as part of new construction in 1976. I live in the mountains of Southern California and over the years we have had several earthquakes that have apparently nudged my house enough to create a few cracks in the walls near doorways, etc. One of the problems I have been living with for many years is a bowed sill (or threshold ) below the patio door frame. The bow basically creates a hump that the door must slide over when opening and closing. I'm trying to figure out if there is some way to fix it other than removing the door and frame to get to the bowed sill. Shims to raise the track to the same level as the bow, perhaps? I am a retired school teacher and do lots of small diy jobs around my house, but removing the door and frame are not something that I could do by myself. TIA

Old 04-13-17, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The door does need to come out... no other way around it. Ends can get shimmed up, or the concrete sill can get ground flat with a cup grinder.

Old 04-13-17, 01:29 PM
S
Thanks, XSleeper.

I can get some help to take the doors out of the frame, but I'm hoping that maybe I can shim the ends without taking off the entire frame.
Thanks again.

Old 04-13-17, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your sill should be caulked down so it wont budge. The jamb and any trim also wont budge, as its all nailed to the rough opening, and should be shimmed tight.

Believe me when I say it needs to come out.

Old 04-13-17, 04:43 PM
S
Rats! Thanks for the information XSleeper. It certainly sounds like you know what you're talking about. I guess I'll just have to live with it. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: