Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Andersen Storm Door - Series 4000 - Trouble shooting request

Old 04-16-17, 10:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello forum,

I am a Handyman in Palm Springs. A new client called to have me help with an Andersen Series 4000 glass storm door. Whoever installed it several years ago was a total wet mess. Everything was wrong. The door latch was installed backwards, so you needed to turn the handle to close it, and the latch retracted and the door opened if you pushed on the door. The clients have been using duct tape to keep the door closed! The internal door was a left hand door, and they mounted the new external storm door so that the hinges were on the internal door handle side, requiring the user to have the storm door completely open to be able to get to the internal door knobs.

Anyways, my problem was that the owners did not have the installation instructions, and I needed to flip the door latch over. Never having worked on this type of door, and unfamiliar with how the latching systems work, I dismantled the entire latching mechanism. I switched the latch around as required, but after reassembling the different parts, the upper and lower catches do not stay out when the door handle is lifted in the upward position. Before the repair, these catches would stay deployed in the outward position if you lifted the handle up, and would retract if the handle was pushed down.

When I reassembled all of the parts, everything seemed to have a place to go, but the storm catch mechanism is just not behaving as it did before my intervention. I have been unable to locate documentation about this because it is not supposed to be a user manipulated part. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Mitch Harper
Handyman

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-17, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not that difficult. Remove the middle screw on the latch and remove the lockset. Then remove the two handles and latch mechanism, basically removing the entire thing. Then it is a matter of just turning the latch over to where it is in the proper position and reinstalling it. The outer plate will need to be removed in order to free up the latch to turn.

Old 04-17-17, 07:01 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
#chandler, I have already flipped the latch over to the correct orientation. My issue is that when I pull up on the handle, the two claws come out and engage the holes in the door frame, but when I release the handle, they retract. I am trying to figure out how to keep them deployed. It's not until you press down on the handle, should the claws retract.