Door jamb repair

Old 04-29-17, 10:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Door jamb repair

I am new to this forum and the info here will help me fix my garage side door jamb... one small step further if I am allowed: the actual metal door with wood core is rotten ~ 6 inches from the bottom; I don't have money to buy a new one right now; how can I take the door panels apart and patch/fix, please?Name:  jamb.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  38.8 KBName:  door.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 04-29-17, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You can't. Replacement is your only option. or Bondo and paint. Looks like the original paint or primer... no wonder.

Old 04-29-17, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for your feedback XSleeper; there goes my hope of try to separate the front and back panels a little and try to replace the rotted wood with a piece of treated one... last question: dos the new/repaired jamb goes all the way down to the floor or does it sit on top of the the sill (is that the name of the wood under threshold?)? thanks for your help...

Old 04-29-17, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I moved your thread to one of its own. No need to hijack another person's thread. You'll get more attention with your own.

The jamb sits on top of the threshold. The threshold is sealed on bottom and on the sides to prevent water infiltration.

Old 04-29-17, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
With THAT threshold, I would say remove it, make your jamb repairs tight to the concrete (set repair in a bed of sealant to prevent wicking) then cut the threshold to fit and set it in a bead of sealant. That whole thing looks jacked up like someone put a crappy used door with no sill into a garage opening.

Old 04-30-17, 04:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The threshold looks to have been installed backwards anyway. Personally it looks to be a complete R&R. The door casing is bad, the threshold is improperly installed, and the door is rotted. Nothing good can come of reusing any of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: