Can Fiberglass Doors be trimmed to fit?

Old 05-03-17, 10:18 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can Fiberglass Doors be trimmed to fit?

I'm replacing doors on a concrete pump house at the community pool. These are in a high water exposure location. I want to use fiberglass doors, but I'm going to need to be able to trim width and height of the doors to fit the settled steel door frames tat are there.

Is this an option? Can I trim 1/4"-5/8" on width and 1-2" on height on a fiberglass door?

Thanks

Old 05-03-17, 10:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I don't know for sure, I'm fairly certain you can't trim them. Have you considered having doors custom made? Last year I had a steel/glass door [exterior prehung] custom made and the cost was just slightly higher than it would have been for the same door in a stock size. Did have to wait a few weeks for it to be made and delivered.

Old 05-03-17, 10:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm dealing with an old settled concrete building that will need a non-parallelogram door. Thats hard to order and very expensive.

Old 05-03-17, 11:01 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
A company called Plaspro makes fiberglass doors designed to be trimmed within limits. Other doors can be trimmed with more work. Here's a pretty good article on the subject:

My New Shop: Cutting & Plugging Fiberglass Doors | THISisCarpentry

Of course you will need the tools and knowledge to mortise the hinges and perhaps prepare for the lockset.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: