Advice on high quality windows & doors

Old 05-26-17, 06:02 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on high quality windows & doors

Hi guys,

I live in Atlantic Canada and I need to change two patio doors and some windows.

There are many companies around, but the quality seems to be pretty standard, mid to low level unfortunately.

Would anybody be able to give me two or three names of companies manufacturing high quality windows/doors with a reputable customer service?

Thank you!
Alex

Old 05-26-17, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Jeld Wen, YKK, Andersen, Pella.

Old 05-27-17, 05:16 AM
M
Hi there,

With the exception of Jeld Wen, which I do not consider high quality, all the others are not even represented in Atlantic Canada, only Andersen with one location which is pretty far from where I live.

Any local manufactures?

Alex

Old 05-27-17, 05:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Perhaps you can tell us what you have available locally.

Old 05-27-17, 05:55 AM
We don't know what "local" is to you. Knowing what is available would help us narrow down the field for you. Jeld Wen has higher quality windows and doors than those represented at the box stores.

Old 05-27-17, 06:01 AM
M
Hi,

Easy done...

Windows, doors and skylights manufacturers—ENERGY STAR Participants in Canada | Natural Resources Canada

CTR+F -> Type New Brunswick or Nova Scotia

There are many and if you are new into this, as I am, it is a lottery.
If you go to any stores like, Home Depot, Home Hardware, Kent Supplies etc. they all sell the same 2-3 brands and people buy those just because this is what it is offered by them.

So far I got two names which I am evaluating:

- Extreme Window and Entrance Systems from Moncton
- http://www.northstarwindows.com/ which the store representing them said to be from Nova Scotia, but they are from Ontario.

As you can see, there are many manufactures around, I am sure many of those produce better stuff than others, but I really do not know where to start from and that is why I am asking around.

Also, say I want to know the distance between the two glasses in the air chamber of a sliding door (not sure about the exact term here), I see the standard seems to be 1/2", I know 3/4 or 1" would be even better... but I cannot find this information on any of their websites and if I ask to a sales man in the store I get a ... I mean, are we kidding??

Tech specs, material and process used to build a door/window are very important to me, so I do not consider any company whose reps are unable to answer those questions, I am not interested in mass production/sales.

So I guess you have now a picture on where I am coming from.

Thank you all for any useful advice you can provide on this.

Alex

Old 05-27-17, 06:07 AM
M
Chandler,

In Canada, Jeld Wen is sold by any box store.

Alex

Old 05-27-17, 06:33 AM
Just for information. NO window or door is manufactured until it is ordered from a manufacturer. Box stores stock their racks with "standard" size windows and doors. They buy them on a gamble that they can sell them.

Generally it costs no more to order a window from a manufacturer or their representative stores than it does from the box, except the quality will be better and a little more expensive because of that.

You are looking for two things that may not be achieved. Local suppliers and the best window around. Check into the feasibility of ordering windows from the manufacturer of your choice after you do the research. You can specify the pane thickness, LowE quality, frame design, etc. on their site or with the help of a human via phone. I find that 6 weeks is a normal turn time for special ordered items including shipping times.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: