Help - Window refurbishment advice

Old 06-06-17, 07:03 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help - Window refurbishment advice

Two years ago we purchased a 30 year old home in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Overall the house is in good shape, however the wooden windows could certainly use some TLC. Replacing the windows is on our wish list, but likely won't happen until at least 5 years down the road.

In the meantime, I'm trying to determine what I can do to get some extra life out of them.
The windows are a wooden frame, and have dual panes. The inner pane appears to be held in with clips similar to those used on window screens. Some of the windows certainly have condensation between the panes, and it appears that some insects have even gotten in between them (and now lay there to rest).

I plan to take the windows out one by one, sand them down, repaint them, and install weather stripping. However I question what I should do about the dual panes? Do I remove the removable pane? Would the space between these panes normally be a vacuum or filled with a gas? Is anyone familiar with this style of window, and what I would need to do to refurbish them?

Any advice is appreciated.

Name:  Window .jpg
Views: 51
Size:  50.3 KB

Old 06-06-17, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Those windows are not double paned insulating glass, you simply have single pane glass with a second single pane interior "storm window" panel. There is only air between the two. Yes, you can take it apart to clean.

While its apart, take a drill bit and insert it into the breather holes between the two panes. They will tend to fog up if those breather holes get plugged with spider webs or dirt. Also if the exterior perimeter of the sash gets caulked shut, they can't get fresh air and may fog up. A little condensation is probably normal... they weren't a perfect system. You should not need to install any "additional weatherstripping".

Prime bare wood with an oil primer, and use a latex trim enamel to paint the window and trim. Then wait a good week or up to 30 days before you put the removable panels back on... you don't want to put them on too soon as they will stick to the paint if it is not fully cured.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: