Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Measuring points for converting to a glass block window?

Old 07-22-17, 06:20 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm looking to change the window in my bathroom (appears to be getting a little rot). My wife and I were thinking of installing a glass block window (pre-fab), but I'm not totally confident in sizing. Would like to double check before I order a window. The width, as measured from the outside, is 32" from siding edge to siding edge, and the height is 42.75" (measured from red to red edge on the outside of the house in the picture, and nearly the same from tile to tile edge from the inside). I believe I should then order the next size down from this, and was looking at this one:

Clearly Secure 31 in. x 40.5 in. x 3.125 in. Vented Wave Pattern Glass Block Window-3242VDC - The Home Depot

It also comes in 31 x 42.5" and many others.

It's hard for me to tell what all I will need to remove before actually cutting/ripping into the window. Part of me thinks I should be ordering a smaller size, because I won't want to remove all of that wood between the siding?Name:  IMG_0670.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  30.4 KBName:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  32.8 KBName:  IMG_0677.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  21.3 KB

Old 07-22-17, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You can usually determine the rough opening size by measuring on the outside...across the outside edge of the brickmould trim, then subtract 1 1/2". And from top brickmould trim to bottom edge of sill, then subtract 1".

If you want to be sure just pull off the brickmould.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: