Water INSIDE of metal French doors

Old 07-25-17, 08:42 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water INSIDE of metal French doors

2 months ago I bought a 20 year old house with a rusted French door. Part of the deal was that they replace the door with a new one, which they did. The French door leads to a common 12x12 concrete patio, so we simply assumed it was rusted out because of splash. Yesterday I bought blinds that require me to loosen the screws around the trim that surrounds the glass to hang th blinds. When I did this at the bottom, water poured out from all the screw holes. I pulled the plastic window trim back and was able to see that the insulation inside the door is saturated and the door seems to be rusting on the inside. What could be causing this and how do I stop it? Additionally, how can I dry the inside of the door out so it doesn't continue to rust? I don't know what brand it is and wasn't provided any warranty information or any information on th contractor they used.

Old 07-25-17, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The plastic trim on the exterior needs to seal to the glass AND seal to the door. This is just a guess, but if someone took the glass and trim off (such as to paint the door at a body shop) the seal between the plastic trim and the door was broken. It would need to be removed again so it could be sealed either with thin 2 faced glazing tape or sealant.

You could leave it in place and caulk around the trim but it would probably look bad.

The door will dry out so don't worry about that.

If my initial guess is wrong, then maybe this is an issue with your air conditioning making the inside cold while the outside it hot and steamy... creating condensation between the door skins.

Old 07-25-17, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just clarifying...the screws ARE on the interior of the door aren't they?

Old 07-25-17, 04:14 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes

The screws to access the glass are on the inside. I hung some of those blinds incased in glass on the inside. I watched closely and today when it rained, one of the screws started leaking rusty water. The door is about 6 inches above the patio, so now I'm thinking it has to be water hitting the glass and rolling down behind the plastic trim and into the door.

Old 07-25-17, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes, I think you are correct. I was just asking because I have seen doors installed backwards.

You need to be sure the top of the door is flashed correctly also. Sounds like a jack leg install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: