Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

window balance hook got detached, can't remove sash

Old 08-08-17, 06:45 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm having a problem removing the sash of a single hung window. I posted a thread on this with some pictures at swisco's discussion forums (balance hook got detached cant remove window sash : SWISCO.com), but I'm not getting very helpful or timely responses from them so I'm hoping I can get some better advice here.

To summarize here, the hook on one of the window balances somehow got detached from its hole slot inside the window jamb. Because of this, when the window is closed all the way, I can't get it open without the help of a small pry bar. Once the window is cracked open a little bit, I can raise and lower the sash fine except if it's closed all the way.

I was trying to remove the sash so I can replace the balances. I've done this once before awhile ago on another window and have seen numerous videos on how it should be done so I'm fairly familiar with how it normally works. When I pull out the take-out clips though, I can't get the sash to budge past where the take-out clips are positioned. With the take-out clips pushed in, I can raise the sash past the clips fine. So when the clips are pulled out, some part of the window balances are getting caught on it, but I simply cannot get the sash to raise past it. I've also tried only pulling out the clip on the side where the balance is still hooked into its hole slot, but this doesn't seem to help.

With the balance on one side not hooked into the jamb anymore, I'm trying to understand why this is making removing the sash so difficult. I'm not sure if a lot more force needs to be applied to raise the sash up past the take-out clips or if doing so could possibly break something and make things worse.

I'm hoping to be able to fix this myself (remove the sash and replace the balances) so appreciate any advice I can get on this. Will provide anymore info or pictures if needed. Thanks.

Old 08-08-17, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
The answer they gave you is a good one. I dont know why you havent done it.

You could also try this, although i think their solution is better. On the side that is broke, don't pull the clip out. Close the window. Cut yourself a thin strip of wood that will fit between the top of the jamb and down and sit on top of your broken balance. It might be like maybe 3/8 x 3/8 or so.

Then pull out the clip on the side that works, raise the window half way and push it to the side until you can get the sash to clear the frame.

Old 08-08-17, 08:43 PM
B
There seems to be a problem on the swisco site as my other replies are not showing there now (they sometimes show up and sometimes don't). But basically, I had responded there that I don't see any issue with the top sash guide as the balance that got unhooked does not popup past the sash like shown in the example of their video. And their response about using screws as a temporary take out measure seems to be geared towards if there weren't any take-out clips present, which is not the issue in my case. I thought they misunderstood my issue. Which answer do you see from them that I should try?

Trying to understand your suggestion as well, but I'm not really getting it either. How would this strip of wood you're suggesting to place inside the jamb help? It seems it's just trying to serve the same purpose as a take-out clip to prevent the balance that got unhooked from moving with the sash as the sash is raised. So I'm not clear how having that piece of wood would be any different or better than using the take-out clip on the side with the balance issue.

Old 08-08-17, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Well I don't see the point in giving additional advice if you haven't tried what's been given. All you need to do is pop the balances downward off the sides of the window as it is being raised. That is the point of these suggestions. As you raise the window you should be able to see the balances staying put on either side, and you can look underneath the window to verify this. Once the nylon guides on the bottom of the balances have cleared the bottom of the sash you should be able to shove the sash to the side to remove it.

I'm guessing the reason it is binding is because the top nylon guide is loose and pivots on the clip, getting tighter against the window sash as you try to raise it.

Old 08-08-17, 09:32 PM
B
Ok, I will try the strip of wood suggestion once I can get some wood with the right size. I was just trying to understand it better. Thanks for suggesting this.

But I still don't see anything from Swisco's response about a solution that you think is better. I thought from my description of the issue and pictures I posted there that it's clear the balance did not pop out past the sash so it's not any issue with the top sash guide. And I don't know why they suggested screws as a temporary take out measure when I already have the take-out clips installed. Am I missing something from their response?

Old 08-08-17, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
The clip only sticks out maybe 1/4", to catch the nylon guide. I suppose their thinking is thst if the nylon guide is bent or damaged, you eill need something thicker or more substantial to catch the top of the channel balance.

If you can raise the window and see the balance from below you could also try to grab it from below with needlenose pliers, or maybe drill into it and put a long screw into it that you could then grab onto with a pliers.

Old 08-09-17, 12:34 AM
B
I see. That makes some sense then. I had read about installing screws before but only in the context of as a workaround for missing take-out clips. I had not thought that screws could function better than the clips for this issue. I guess to try this option I would need to remove the take-out clips first and then install the screws. But I'd prefer not making more holes in the window jamb to install the screws so I'll see if something else works first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: