Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Went to Homedepot and was told I can't install storm door for my house

Old 08-10-17, 08:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Just bought a house and wife wants to put storm door for the front and side doors. however, the doors don't have brick moulding but the frame has a brick moulding shape as you can see from the pictures. The outside part of the frame/jamb isn't flushed but has a design. Can I just install a brick moldings to the frame and use it to attach the storm door? I am kinda worried that the brick molding won't seat right since the outside part of the frame isn't flushed or straight. What are my options?

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 3258
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  b3.jpg
Views: 2340
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  b4.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  47.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-10-17 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spaced pictures
Old 08-10-17, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Looks to me like someone clad your brickmould all wrong. The brickmould is usually 2" wide, 1" deep with a 1/2" step. So the distance between your brickmould trim would normally be 32" or 36"...

But if the guy who bent the cladding for your door squared it off and included the 1/2" step when he bent the cladding your brickmould would be 2 1/2" wide... no 1" x 1/2" deep step for the storm door to sit in... and the distance between the cladding would probably be 31" or 35". (This is what the pictures are telling me that he did)

This is the fault of the contractor who installed your cladding... it is just plain stupid to wrap a door that way because it means you can't put a storm door on. Technically home depot is correct, you can't put one on as it is now... but you could if the cladding would have been done correctly, with a future storm door in mind.

I would have the existing cladding removed and have it redone so that the storm door will fit. This is a pretty simple thing that anyone with a metal break could do. Usually that just means your installer needs to know about it ahead if time so he is prepared to do the work.

The height could also be an issue... it looks like the soffit might be reducing the amount of height needed for the storm door. Might be close.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: