Plastic glazing bead for aluminum storm door

Old 08-18-17, 08:35 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plastic glazing bead for aluminum storm door

I have a full-view storm door, manufacturer unknown, with a three-piece glazing bead that holds the window or screen in place. Every fall and spring it has to be removed to swap the window for the screen or vice-versa. Unfortunately, it has become increasingly brittle over the years, as PVC tends to do, and, despite the utmost of care, and the years of practice I've had, it's getting impossible to remove it without doing some damage each time. It's reached the point where it needs to be replaced, but I have been unable to find a replacement.

The door has no identifying sticker, nameplate or imprint, and since it's full-view, there's really nothing distinctive about the door itself. It's just a frame. I don't know where it was purchased. It was almost new when I bought this house, but that was 18 years ago, and the building supply stores that were in business back then have all been replaced by you-know-who. It has a Papaiz lockset, but I don't know if it came with it or if it was bought separately, and it probably wouldn't help much if I did. The only thing really unique about it is this glazing bead. It's unlike anything I have seen, and I've gone through every catalog I've been able to find and looked at thousands of pictures.

I'm hoping that someone here might recognize it if I post a picture showing what it looks like in cross-section. The actual dimensions are approximately 3/4" by 3/8".

Attached Images  
Old 08-18-17, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If I had to guess I would suggest you contact Emco via their customer support website link.

Old 08-18-17, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
You could also consider the option of using clips and screws, as suggested by Swisco.

http://www.swisco.com/discussions/Storm-door-retainer-strip-replacment-77-68970

Old 08-19-17, 05:42 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
This is a tough one. If you have time and patients try this link. You will have to magnify the images to hopefully find the manufacturer of your door. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ts&FORM=IRIBIP

Old 08-19-17, 05:14 PM
I
Originally Posted by XSleeper
If I had to guess I would suggest you contact Emco via their customer support website link.
You might be on to something. Their doors look very similar, except for the way the glass is held in. Didn't see anything promising in their parts catalog, but noticed that they call their glazing beads "edge seals." Maybe I need to try searching using other terminology than just "glazing bead."

I didn't call their customer service, but I get the feeling they wouldn't be much help without a model and/or serial number, and I'm nt even sure they made the damn thing, but while looking at the information on finding your serial number, I had a thought. They say that their doors have either a piano hinge or four separate hinges. Mine has four hinges tied together into a single plate that connects to the house. I get the feeling this is what they mean, because they say, "If your storm door has four individual hinges, this tag will be located near the top or bottom hinge, on the part that is attached to the house." If the hinges were like normal, separate hinges, how ould the tag be "near the top or bottom hinge, on the part that is attached to the house"? It would either be on the hinge or on the house. So I'm wondering if maybe that tag is there, only for some strange reason it's on the other side of that plate. I'm thinking I might have to have a look just so I'll know.

Old 08-19-17, 05:19 PM
I
You could also consider the option of using clips and screws, as suggested by Swisco.

Storm door retainer strip replacment : SWISCO.com
Honestly, I think I'd rather buy a new door at that point, but the guy makes a good point about manufacturers changine the design every year and not making the parts available. This is why most industries have standards bodies.

Old 08-19-17, 05:32 PM
I
Originally Posted by johnam
This is a tough one. If you have time and patients try this link. You will have to magnify the images to hopefully find the manufacturer of your door. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ts&FORM=IRIBIP
I'm pretty sure I've been there before. Sometimes I wonder if some of those other designs might just work anyway, but it's probably just wishful thinking. It's more likely that some fine day I'll actually find the exact part on some site somewhere and excitedly click on the picture for more information and see, "sorry, no longer available."

Old 08-19-17, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
If your storm door has four individual hinges, this tag will be located near the top or bottom hinge, on the part that is attached to the house
The hinge side z-bar has face frame screws that face the outside, and jamb screws that are visible when you open the door. They are saying the tag would be visible when you open the door and look near either the top or bottom hinge. It could be either since the hinge is reversible depending on whether it is left or right hinge.

Doubtful a door that old would still have a tag. Probably faded and fell off long ago.

Old 08-19-17, 07:36 PM
I
The hinge side z-bar has face frame screws that face the outside, and jamb screws that are visible when you open the door. They are saying the tag would be visible when you open the door and look near either the top or bottom hinge. It could be either since the hinge is reversible depending on whether it is left or right hinge.

Doubtful a door that old would still have a tag. Probably faded and fell off long ago.
You're probably right.

But you know I'm going to take a look anyway. :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: