Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installing a new door to create a water closet

Old 10-14-17, 06:15 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a stud on one side of the opening but not on the other side. I will be using a 24 inch door. I will build a frame for it in the 32 inch opening. If I put the hinges on the stud side Can I secure the door frame to drywall side using hollow wall anchors?

Old 10-14-17, 06:39 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't understand why you would have to mount anything on the dry wall especially if you use a pre-hung door. You said that you are going to build a frame for the door. That means that you will have studs on both sides. The pre-hung door, hinges & all, gets mounted to the studs.

Old 10-14-17, 06:43 AM
S
The frame will only have a stud on one side to mount to. The attic is above so I can easily add a stud in the ceiling to support the top of the frame also. One side will be only drywall. Yes the prehung door would mount to the frame

Old 10-14-17, 07:00 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You need a structure around the door to make it secure.

Goggle "door rough opening" and you will get a lot of examples of what it should look like and all the dims.

Old 10-14-17, 07:14 AM
S
It will have a structure around the door to mount the prehung door to. But the frame will only be secured to studs on the one side and the top. The non hinge side frame will only be secured by hollow wall anchors through the frame into the drywall

Old 10-14-17, 07:19 AM
D
The top of the pre-hung door doesn't get screwed to whatever frame that you build. BTW, that piece wouldn't be called a stud. Maybe some pics would help. I don't understand why you can't frame it correctly.

Old 10-14-17, 07:21 AM
S
The right side wall does not have a stud that lines up with the corner.

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-17, 07:24 AM
S
The door would be secured properly to the frame. The frame would secured to the stud on the left and secured at the ceiling. The right side has no stud to mount to so I want to use hollow wall anchors to mount the frame to the drywall on the right side.

Old 10-14-17, 07:36 AM
D
Will that be a second door inside the bathroom? If so, you could use an accordion door & forget about all the framing.

Old 10-14-17, 09:13 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The other side needs something to mount the door, the drywall or the molding too, the wall needs to be opened up and studs installed.

Old 10-14-17, 09:45 AM
I respectfully disagree that the latch side of the door needs a stud, as long as the hinge side is secured to a stud.

For the latch side all you need is to mount some lumber to the face of the drywall, 2x4 would work. You need a little room to drywall the face (sides) of the stud and/or to add door casing.
A little construction adhesive and toggle bolts should be more than strong enough to support the latch side.

There are also much stronger anchors available, but I think you don't require a great amount of strength.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: