Hurricane bracket bolt repair

Old 10-20-17, 08:47 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hurricane bracket bolt repair

Last month during hurricane Irma's visit to Florida I had to put up my metal shutters to cover all the windows and doors.

The shutters are individual corrugated panels arrange vertically over an opening. There is a channel on top and a bracket with male bolts at the bottom. The panel is inserted into the channel, then the predrilled holes at the bottom allows the panel to be placed right over the bolts, then secured with a wing nut. This is a picture of a window with the top channel and bottom bracket. You can see there is a bolt every six inches.

The brackets come made with these bolts attached, I think they are welded on.

Once the panel is placed over these bolts then each bolt is secured with a wing nut.

During a previous paint job someone painted these bolts. This makes it very difficult to thread on the wing nuts last month.

So I got a 1/4" deep coupling nut, put that on a hex driver, and used my impact driver to drive that coupling nut over each bolt, in and out, to clean the threads. I did that for about 100 bolts all around, except one.

This one for whatever reason got cross threaded as I drove in, not only mutilated the threads, but also broke off the bolt half way.

Any idea how this can be repaired? These brackets are installed with hammerset nails so remove/replace entre bracket is difficult.

The only thing I can think of right now, is to grind off the rest of the bolt, then drill through the metal bracket, to expose the concrete block wall behind it, then install a 1/4" hanger bolt into the concrete wall at the same spot. Any other ideas?

Old 10-20-17, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I have the same hardware. The repair you describe is probably what I would do. That's the center bolt for the center of three panels if I'm looking right. Probably not a critical fastener like an end one would be. You can use this type for the replacement stud:

2-1/4" Tapcon SG Anchors in White Finish with 1-1/8" Threaded Stud - WindStorm Products®

I have a variety of attachment methods used including individual studs like in the link on a couple of windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: