Sealing a Door to Make it Soundproof

Old 11-19-17, 06:52 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealing a Door to Make it Soundproof

Hello,

There are two doors in my room. The second door is between my room and the room of the other person. It is never used and is always closed. The person in the other room often creates loud noise. Can you explain what insulating substance can be used to seal the openings in the door to make it as soundproof as possible? I also have rug which can be hung on the wall, but it may not reduce the sound.

Attached Images  
Old 11-19-17, 06:56 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What kind of noises are you hearing? Whatever you do will only help a little at best. Cork is the cheapest answer.

Old 11-19-17, 10:20 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Id find something thick and heave, like a moving pad and hang it across the entire door.

Old 11-19-17, 11:10 AM
B
The openings let in different kinds of noises, so that I hear what is going on in the other room. For best insulation from sound, should I use spray foam?

Old 11-19-17, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You would probably want to build a separate wall and cover the entire shared wall, not just the door. Layers of materials with differing densities. Sheets of egg crate foam... then sheets of dense foam, resilient channel, double 5/8 sheetrock...

I don't know that hanging a blanket over the door is going to help a whole lot.

If you do want to concentrate on just the door, you could use backer rod and caulk (such as Dap Peel-n-seal) followed by a sheet of dense foam board nailed to the trim. But no one thing is going to lessen the noise very much. Noise reduction is about deadening and isolating vibration... which is why multiple layers of different densities coupled with the separation of layers is needed for the best sound control.

Old 11-19-17, 04:18 PM
D
How about a couple blankets over the entire wall?

Old 11-21-17, 09:53 AM
B
Hanging blankets on the wall will not reduce the sound significantly. It seems that I should use weatherstrips and a sealant to insulate the door. Since the door is never opened and will be replaced with a wall at some later time, any temporary measures can be taken now. I need to find out what method works best in terms of reducing noise.

Old 11-21-17, 02:27 PM
D
Sealing the door isn't going to reduce the noise significantly either. However, if you still want to focus on the door, caulk around it & look for some cork to cover it.

Old 11-21-17, 02:57 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Rigid foam caulked/sealed into place over the door?

I agree, you're not going to get great results since the jamb goes all the way through and will therefore conduct sound.

Old 11-22-17, 09:10 AM
B
Sealing a Door to Make It Soundproof (Regardless of the Damage to the Door)

Hello,

I posted the following question yesterday, but it seems to have disappeared from the forum.
There are two doors in my room. The second door is between my room and the room of the other person. It is never used and is always closed. But there is noise coming from the other room. Can you explain how I can insulate the door to make it as soundproof as possible? Since the door will be removed and replaced with a wall at some later time, any temporary measures can be taken now regardless of the damage to the door. I need to find out what method works best in terms of reducing noise.

Attached Images  
Old 11-22-17, 09:19 AM
C
Hey dude.
I would suggest you change your door to a fire rated solid core door like a FD30 or FD60 You can then rebate and fit intumescent strips followed by adding draught excluder around the door stops. This should significantly reduce noise and help you out in case of fire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: