Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Looking for Octagon Window with VERY slim frame

Old 11-21-17, 04:53 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

I need to install a new construction octagon window in my new garage to more or less match the 30 year-old one on the existing house. The builder provided one, but the frame is too fat, the glass has 3-1/2" less reveal, and the grid is 5/8" compared to the existing window's 3/8" grid. Just too many differences. Any help sourcing one with at least a slim frame (maybe a replacement style) would be much appreciated.

I found an octagon by Simonton (Reflection 5500 series), which looks much better. I would still like a slimmer frame though. If I can't locate one, I may go with this one.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-17, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
If you want a suggestion, maybe you should tell us the size of the window that you are trying to match, along with the actual size of jamb and sash, along with brand name if it's etched anywhere on the glass.

Include a pic if you can.

Old 11-21-17, 08:12 PM
M
I was asking in general if there are certain anufacturers that carry octaton windows with slimmer frames. I need one with the thinnest frame possible, 24" x 24" with over 23" of glass reveal and 5/8" grid

Old 11-21-17, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
24" wide with 23" of glass? Ha ha, no.

Old 11-23-17, 04:10 PM
M
Any reason why I couldn't install the window backwards? This would give me the minimal frame facing outward, to which I would apply my 3/4x4 trim. It's in a garage, so who cares what it looks like on the inside?

I was able to locate a 23-1/8"x23-1/8" octagon that measures 26-1/8" overall with brickmould. I could remove the brickmould and replace it with 3/4x4 and it would be pretty darn close to the existing octagon.

Attached Images  
Old 11-23-17, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Pop the brickmould off the exterior side, throw it away or reuse it on the interior side, then trim the exterior side however you like. But no, don't install the window "backwards".

Old 11-23-17, 06:54 PM
M
Okay, that's what I'll do.

Old 11-25-17, 06:05 AM
M
Has anyone heard of this company? JJJ Specialty? No one I've spoken with has. And their prices are relatively low, which concerns me (some of their octagons are under $100). I think I may go with the Simonton Reflections 5500 window and use brickmould to slim down the frame profile. I may replace the existing octagon and have the siding guys patch/blend around it. I think I'll regret not doing so now while everything else is being done.

Old 11-25-17, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
They are sold at Menards stores in the midwest. Anything under $100 will probably be single pane or a clear insulated glass with no low-e or argon. And unprimed wood. Not something that will last very long. Wood exterior windows aren't very popular anymore because today's wood rots so fast.