Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Large gap in doors, despite weather stripping

Old 11-24-17, 10:20 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have tried finding a weather stripping large enough to fill the gaps in a couple of doors in my house to no avail, and I'm wondering if someone can offer up a suggestion. I've gotten several different variety I could find at ACE, but none have solved the problem.

Here is a photo of the sunlight pouring in:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ra...BOedVhtC-lyZdA

And here is a photo of the current weather stripping I'm using:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fC...Q4_F58odREhNfM

The only way I can remove enough of the gap to not have all that sunlight coming through is if I pull the door really hard, hold it for a second, and then let go. In the winter freezing air is just blowing right in.

Thoughts? Like I said, I've used every weather-stripping solution at my local ACE.

Old 11-24-17, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Adjust your strike plate so the door latches tighter. And pull the end of the weatherstrip out and show us the end profile.

Old 11-24-17, 01:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Almost looks like the weather stripping is installed incorrectly. Ran into this once before where the stripping was nailed flat instead of inserted in to the groove designed to hold it in place. Open the door and show us a pic of the weather stripping in place.

Old 11-24-17, 01:10 PM
B
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Adjust your strike plate so the door latches tighter. And pull the end of the weatherstrip out and show us the end profile.
XSleeper,

Thanks for your response. I will adjust the strike plate in a bit, but I can quickly take a photo of the stripping for you:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HG...jq8ZP48QB0zhUH

Old 11-24-17, 01:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Well, it is installed correctly, the odd profile in your second pic is that it isn't even making contact with the stripping. Adjust the strike plate and you should see better results. If it is an adjustable plate, you simply loosen the screws and move it back a little. If it is hard screwed in, you will need to remove, plug the holes with a little glue and something like a golf tee and then screw into fresh wood.

Old 11-24-17, 01:43 PM
B
Edited:

After some futzing around, I figured out how to adjust this particular strike plate. It's quite a bit better. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Benjamin Rush; 11-24-17 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-24-17, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
That looks like really crummy weatherstripping. What you want is called q-lon. Here is a link as an example.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: