Bifold closet doors won't fully close

Old 12-11-17, 03:38 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bifold closet doors won't fully close

I've installed / adjusted dozens of bifold doors in my time, but these particular ones have got me stumped. Neither of the two bifold doors will fully close. No, this has nothing to do with the size of the opening or adjusting the pins or anything like that. I mean, even when removed from the closet, they will not unfold fully flat. I figured the hinges must be bent, so I replaced them all, but no change. If I force them to unfold fully flat, I can see that the doors are super-tight at the center hinge, while there is a much larger gap at the top and bottom hinges. It's almost like the doors are irregular - not cut straight. Am I missing something?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-17, 03:43 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
even when removed from the closet, they will not unfold fully flat.
I'd say they are defective. The hinges appear to be improperly placed or the door is not straight along the hinge side. If you were to remove the hinges and lay the doors flat against the floor, then located the hinges as to where they should be, will they line up with the pre-drilled holes as purchased?

Old 12-11-17, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Hard to tell, they might be slightly warped. The solution could be one of 2 things.

1). Remove all hinges, set the two leaves on sawhorses laying flat next to each other, see if the gap is consistent... if not, belt sand one or both edges as needed so that they are a book match, then reassemble with hinges in the same screw holes. There has to be some space between the doors where they meet. That is the root of the problem.

Or 2). If the 2 leaves look fairly straight when laying next to each other with the hinges off... put the new hinges on using new holes... (putty and paint old holes) and be sure you maintain an 1/8"- 3/16" gap between the doors at all hinge locations as you install the new hinges.