Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Exterior Door forming Frost on the inside of Threshold

Old 12-26-17, 07:22 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I installed two exterior doors over the summer. Today where I live it is -5 degrees and I noticed they are forming frost on the inside of the threshold (see pics below). The doors have an auto adjustable threshold so I don't think I can manually adjust anything. There doesn't seem to be any obvious drafts or air leaks but I assume air is getting in somehow. Anyone have any idea on how to stop this from happening?

Old 12-26-17, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Clean the frost off and put a clear bead of silicone there. You have air leakage under the threshold.

Old 12-26-17, 09:57 AM
B
Thaks for the reply. I will give that a try.

Old 12-26-17, 10:28 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Im not familiar with the "auto adjust" first thing to do is get down on hands and knees and see if there is a gap, air flow coming in. Maybe auto adjust needs some adjustments!

Old 12-27-17, 05:27 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
The threshold is made of aluminum which is a good conductor of cold. At 5 below, even though the threshold is “thermally broken” will still conduct enough cold to cause some frost. Check for any areas of air leakage to minimize the problem.

Old 12-27-17, 05:33 AM
B
I tried cleaning it all off and adding silicone. Unfortunatley when I woke up this motning it was back to the same so that didnt work. Any other ideas?

Old 12-27-17, 05:44 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
You may have high humidity in the house or a heat source near the door.

Old 12-27-17, 06:02 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Looking at the pictures again it looks like air entry might be coming in below the upper portion of the threshold, sealing that joint would stop air flow but not the presents of cold air thus condensation and frost..

If you have confirmed that there is no gap at the bottom then might consider contacting the company for assistance.

We got down to -6 last night and I do not have any frost on my exterior aluminum thresholds so somewhere cold is getting in!

Old 12-27-17, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sorry that didn't work. I have never heard of a self adjusting threshold.

I would probably examine the door bottom weatherstripping and see if it is torn... or maybe just worn out to the point where the fins aren't contacting the threshold. They get bent and dry out to the point where they are no longer flexible. There are only a few different types... pretty easy to replace. Maybe if you can open the door, pry the end down and take a pic, we could see what style you have and recommend a replacement. Some have a double kerf, and if yours does too we would need to know how far apart the kerfs are.

Old 02-23-18, 10:58 AM
B
Sorry for getting back late. Thanks for all the input. I ended up contacting the company and they sent me new bottom weatherstripping, which they said has changed since I bought the doors. I replaced those and added a storm door. Doing those things seems to have helped the problem, although we haven't had real extreme cold yet. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: