Interior Door jamb is concave, how to fix?

Old 01-12-18, 08:40 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior Door jamb is concave, how to fix?

So the door frame to one of the bedrooms in my house is actually concave on the hinge side. Meaning, when the door is closed, the door meets the door frame at the top and bottom of the door frame but there is a 1/4" to 3/8" gap in the middle. The door frame does have a small trim piece that slightly covers the door jamb but the concaveness of the door is greater than the trim cover.

How best to fix this?

Here's a pic of what I mean:

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-18, 08:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
It probably was a pre-hung unit. With a box cutter cut any painters caulk where the molding meets the wall on both sides of the door where it is bowed. Carefully pry off the molding. Now you'll be able to see the gap between the door jamb and the rough framing of the wall. Insert shims to push to door jamb out to where you want. Then nail or screw through the jamb, shims and into the framing. You might want to do it in a couple places along the height of the door. Then reinstall the molding, caulk and touch-up paint.

Old 01-12-18, 08:49 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Casing needs to come off so the door can be reshimed.
Use at least a 4' level to check how flat the jamb is when shimming.

Old 01-12-18, 09:36 AM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
If the door is plumb and square to the frame and fits good on the handle side then it was probably just nailed a little too aggressive between the hinges.

As noted the casing on the hinge side will come off and that nail will need to be backed off and/or shim increased to eliminate the gap.

Last edited by XSleeper; 01-12-18 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Replaced the word "jambs" with "casing".
Old 01-16-18, 08:17 AM
S
Thanks everyone. I pulled the trim off last weekend and hammered in some wood shims. The gap is gone. However it did seem to knock the door a little off keilter because the latch does not catch anymore when you shut the door. I need to bore out the latch in the jamb a little bit so I can raise the metal tab in the jamb.

Old 01-16-18, 10:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
It sounds like the entire door assembly was not properly installed and may have shifted when you shimmed the latch side. If properly done the hinge side of the door should be securely shimmed and screwed at each hinge to the framing of the house so it can't move.

Old 01-16-18, 10:53 AM
S
I only shimmed the hinge side, not the latch.

Quite frankly it seems more doors than not are off base in my house. The house is only 20 years old but I don't know if the builder didn't check for plumb or the house has just settled but there are many doors in the house that do not stay in position somewhere between not quite latched and fully open. Depending on the door gravity will either pull the door all the way open or closed. It's very frustrating.