Replacing French/Double Doors with Single

Old 04-03-18, 06:48 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Replacing French/Double Doors with Single

My friend has double/french doors on her master bedroom and would like to replace them with a single door. The combined width of the doors is 36". Is it possible to simply remove the french doors from the hinges and install a single slab in their place? Of course I would need to remove the extra set of hinges and install a latch, but I'm hoping this will be pretty straight forward and not have to replace the entire casing. I would buy a prehung 36" interior door and remove the door from the case. Looks like the hinges would line up.

Last edited by mossman; 04-03-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You'll have to measure very carefully to really know, we aren't there. Is this an interior or exterior door? I have to ask "why"? The single door will take up much more room as it swings in. You'll have to deal with the holes for the top and bottom latches most likely. If it's a quality french door, that might mean 4 holes. You'll have to mortise for the required new strikeplate.

I've always found it much simpler to replace frame and all, even if I can't re-use the trim.

Old 04-03-18, 12:30 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
You'll have to measure very carefully to really know, we aren't there. Is this an interior or exterior door? I have to ask "why"? The single door will take up much more room as it swings in. You'll have to deal with the holes for the top and bottom latches most likely. If it's a quality french door, that might mean 4 holes. You'll have to mortise for the required new strikeplate.

I've always found it much simpler to replace frame and all, even if I can't re-use the trim.
Interior door. Because she wants to put a TV on the wall where one of the doors swings into. There is limited space. Room is not an issue with where the new door would swing. If it were my house, I would replace the entire thing, but I was hoping there was a simple solution for her. I agree the exposed mortises from the old hinges would look bad. I doubt she'll want to replace the entire door. Guess she won't be getting the TV where she wants it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: