Measuring for replacement windows

Old 04-22-18, 12:35 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Measuring for replacement windows

Hi,
I've looked this up, watched several videos, still a bit unclear to me. as many of the diagrams and videos don't show you on actual windows or windows that look like mine.

Hopefully someone here can easily point me in the right direction!

I'm trying to measure for replacement double hung vinyl windows, width is pretty straight forward but the height there's a lot more areas that are unclear.

Do I go (from top to bottom) A-> A or A->B or B->B or ?)

Here's the window as a whole:

Top:

Bottom:

Old 04-22-18, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
The window that is currently in there (b & c) will get completely removed, so you do not measure to b or c. "A" is the top of your stool, you also do not measure to there... not unless you add in the thickness of the stool. Stick a putty knife or business card down the Crack between a and b, draw a line on it with a pencil, then pull it out... that will tell you what to add on bottom. You also don't measure to A on top... you have to add in the amount that the window goes in behind the stop on top. You could likely do the same thing on top if you cut away the caulking.

You would likely be safe to measure A-A then add 1", assuming your stool goes down 3/4, and the top goes up at least 1/4-1/2", you subtract 1/4" to make sure it's not too tall to fit.

To double check your width, take some outside photos and post back. Generally you measure between the face trim on the exterior and subtract 1/4"if you are ordering tip to tip (which means you are telling them the exact size of the window you want... not the rough opening size). I always order tip to tip because I don't want some goofball doing the math, thinking he knows better and changing my measurements on me. The size I order better be the size I get or its on them.

And window measurements are always expressed as width x height, not the other way around. So your window might be 28 x 61 1/2, but it is not 61 1/2 x 28. That would be a horizontal slider.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: