Expanding window sill??

Old 05-01-18, 02:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Expanding window sill??

I have window casing that was put on, and it's wider than the window sill is. Besides ripping out the window sill and putting in a wider one, is there any way to make this look better??

Oh and I have real blinds being put in, right now just have paper window covers in the meantime.

Thanks in advance

Attached Images    
Old 05-01-18, 02:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It should have been dealt with prior to the casing being installed. Is it just one window or more?
I suppose you could cut off the end and ad a piece of wood to extend it the stool - the cuts and fitment would need to be precise.

Old 05-01-18, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, use casing thats the correct size. Shouldn't have used that in the first place.

Old 05-01-18, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Looks to me like something was added to the casing the part nearest the window looks like typical 2 1/4" Colonial...then there's the thicker part past the stool. Or, it was just a style of casing that was way too wide to begin with. If it's all one piece, you'd think they would have used thicker stool, done a return at the ends and/or put an apron on. The casing totally overpowers the plain skinny stool.

Oh, asperber, the part you are talking about that is too short on the ends is the "stool", it's the flat part inside the room. "Sill" is whats under the window sash and slopes to the outside.

Old 05-02-18, 06:14 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I'd remove it all and start over.
Looks to me like someone installed the casing backwards, then add what's called back band moulding to the outside.
Even that stool is a mess and there's no apron under it.
Looks like a first time DIY job done with whatever materials they had laying around by someone that had no clue how to trim out a window.
Stool should have been one piece of 5/4 and notched out on the ends like in this picture.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

Old 05-02-18, 06:19 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How difficult is it to remove the window stool? I was planning on adding an apron below it.

Old 05-02-18, 08:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Are there window jambs on top of the stool? hard to tell with the blind in the way. IMO it isn't that big of a deal to replace the stool although it would have been easier if it had been done first.

Old 05-02-18, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Usually the casing and interior stop have to come off to get the stool out. It has to lift straight up. You might be able to cut it in pieces and get it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: