Damaged Door Jamb

Old 05-05-18, 09:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damaged Door Jamb

My dog damaged this door jamb while I was out of town (separation anxiety). I am finally getting around to fixing it. I thought the middle part of the jamb (door stop?) was separate but the jamb is one piece. As you can see it is not.
Where can I get a jamb? Didn't see them on Home Depot site.
Can I just replace the lower half or the strike side or do I need to replace the whole frame?
Any addition advice or video links to help.

Attached Images   
Old 05-05-18, 12:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but the jamb and door stop should be 2 separate pieces, you may need to cut the caulk in order to separate them.

Old 05-05-18, 03:45 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Looks like it might be an exterior door, those jambs are usually built as one piece. I admit, from the pictures, it is tough to tell what is going on. To replace a partial jamb, you need to remove the threshold from both sides so you can attach a new piece of door jamb. Then carefully put the whole thing back together. If you want to replace the whole jamb, then the door needs to be completely removed, Jamb removed, new jamb cut to size, attached and then install the door as if it was brand new.

Old 05-06-18, 05:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I thought the stucco would be a give away but yes, it is an exterior door.
I found a jamb, I am going to disassemble the whole jamb and replace it.I will have to cut the new jamb to the exact size of the old one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: