what kind of glass to use for 8-lite door

Old 05-29-18, 11:52 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what kind of glass to use for 8-lite door

I'm replacing the bumpy frosted glass panes that are in my 8-lite craftsman door with clear glass. It appears to be either 1/8" or 3/16" if I factor in the bumps. Questions: Where is the best place to buy glass and have it cut to size? and What thickness or type of glass is appropriate for this exterior door? Panes are about 9 x 4"

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-18, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
A glass shop will be able to take care of you. Take one of the panes with you. At the minimum, you'll probably want double strength glass if it will fit.

Old 05-29-18, 01:06 PM
G
If double strength glass is the min, what's better than that? How about Lowe's or other cheaper solutions? A specialty glass shop sounds expensive.

Old 05-29-18, 01:47 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I'm almost certain that any entrance door must use tempered glass. I am sure that all storm doors must use tampered glass.

Old 05-29-18, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Yes, by code any door glass must be tempered safety glass. That means it is special order... tempered glass cannot be cut, it has to be ordered... cut to size, then tempered.

Any commercial city glass can order it for you. I would take out one pane and take it to them and tell them you need 8.

Old 05-29-18, 04:26 PM
G
Much of the glass in my house has bubbles and waves in it because it was made in 1912, so I'm not too concerned about tiny panes on a back door. It would be nice if it was more durable than the old glass that was originally in there. I'm not sure it's worth ordering tempered glass, but I'll look into it.

Old 05-29-18, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I forgot that homeowners usually can do whatever they want and don't "have to" build things to code. Most honest contractors can't do that.

Last edited by XSleeper; 05-29-18 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-29-18, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
8 lite Craftsman style. I was assuming the panes were all across the top in 2 rows. Why would those have to be tempered? Not like someone would accidentally put their elbow through it.

We had tons of similar doors back in VA and unless you were replacing the whole door, you weren't required to use tempered glass.

Old 05-29-18, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Doesnt matter where it is, if its in a door it should be tempered safety glass. Been that way for years (1974, if i have my info correct...) Age of the old door or location of the glass really doesn't matter... if one gets broke and you replace the glass, by code the contractor or business must replace it with code compliant glass. Unless you want to fly under the radar, which we don't really advocate here.

Windows are a different story. There are all sorts of rules about height from floors, distance from stairs or doors, and wet areas like showers, tubs, pools, etc. Part of a window might be tempered, while another sash might not be. Or if it exceeds a certain size, it must be tempered safety glass.

Old 05-30-18, 02:22 AM
G
Yeah, I'm not a contractor and I don't care about codes in this case, I'm not going to use tempered glass if it's more money and I have to have it made to order. They didn't have tempered glass in 1912, I have non-tempered glass all over the house, and the only time it has ever broken has been when someone was trying to break in. The local small hardware shop has made glass for me in the past so I'll just check with them. Thanks for the advice, I'll likely just go with whatever is offered that's the strongest but short of special order tempered glass that can't be cut locally.

Old 05-30-18, 03:34 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Just a hint. When ordering the glass, if asked don't say it's for a door. If you do, technically they should refuse to cut it. I always ask customers in a nonchalant way what the glass is being used for. If they say a door I refuse to sell it to them. I can't put the company in any possible liability position.