Should I install a door sweep or threshold?

Old 06-28-18, 11:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I install a door sweep or threshold?

I just installed an old wooden door with a old-style wooden sill. I saw an interesting door sweep that gets mortised into the bottom edge of the door and was thinking of using that, but they are a bit expensive. I'm also considering if I should have a threshold instead, but the downside of that would be an extra bump and also it might not seal as evenly when/ if the gap becomes uneven. I'm open to suggestions, I just want something nice, that's air tight, and doesn't want to bind against a rug like some of the cheap sweeps I've installed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-18, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
You generally use a threshold so that the door can be cut high enough that it can swing in and clear a rug. Other than that it's your choice.

Old 06-28-18, 07:32 PM
G
I did cut the door so it's 1/4"-3/8" above the floor. Can't I also find an under door sweep that will take up that same space and then not need a threshold or am I missing something?

Old 06-28-18, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah... if your sill and floor are at the same level, you are missing the fact that a sweep mounted onto the door will catch on a rug no matter how high you have the door cut above the floor.

Sweeps will drag on the floor when you open the door unless you cut the door high enough to install a threshold, THEN use a sweep.

Thresholds were commonly used to a). cover the joint between the door sill and finished floor and b). raise the door above the floor level. Some thresholds were interlocking with the door bottom for a tight seal... nowadays that's done with weatherstripping.

Old 06-28-18, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
They do make mechanical sweeps that provide extra clearance until just a few inches before the door closes, but IMO they are expensive and overly complicate a problem that should be fixed by permanent means.

Old 07-02-18, 05:24 AM
G
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the sweep dragging the rug. My wife tends to put a really low rug on the landing that has a rubber bottom, so I wonder if that will get dragged or not. A threshold is probably the answer. I like the mechanical sweeps that lift up when the door opens, but I see no way to get one that's a non-standard door width. I bought a home depot sweep that has a drip, but that's sort of a dumb design because you have to cut part of it to not bind with the door stops.

Old 07-02-18, 07:10 AM
G
Seems like this is affordable and could work without the threshold. They recommend a threshold but I take that to mean it will still work decent without it. And it can be cut up to 4" which will work for my 34" wide door and it won't scrape the rug. What do you think? National Guard - Auto Door Bottom 225 N X 36 - HardwareChimp.com

Old 07-02-18, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
I Well, that probably is wider than your door is. It says it requires a 1 15/16" mortise for the bottom plate...

Old 07-02-18, 10:10 AM
G
Pretty sure that's the depth of the route. Most doors I've seen are 1 3/4" wide.

Old 07-02-18, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Oh Yes, the 1 15/16 is the depth of the mortise.